Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Cable placement

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 russellsnr

russellsnr

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:58 AM

Hi, I have installed a new sata drive found what I think is the power supply but not sure about cable, I am going to try and place a photo/s in the post, am I correct in saying the cable should connect under the blue cable on the mother board then next slot to the power supply on H/D.
Thank You.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:42 AM

yes, the data cable will connect to the sata slot next to the blue cable in the first picture. Can't really see the second picture but the power supply should have a cable coming out of it that looks like the black one in http://sierra-cables.com/SATA/Images/SATA-Power-Cable-1.jpg pic. If you don't have a spare sata power connector on your supply there are adapters you can buy that will work, if you need them post back.

#3 russellsnr

russellsnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

Hi, I did all except additional power supply as there is no free on the PSU.
Used power supply in photo 2 above, when I turn on computer only gets as far Dell logo F2 or F12 options if I remove cable from 2nd drive boots as normal. I connected the sata cable with the flat end (see photo) to mobo.
Help please.

Attached Files

#4 russellsnr

russellsnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

Hi, I did all except additional power supply as there is no free on the PSU.
Used power supply in photo 2 above, when I turn on computer only gets as far Dell logo F2 or F12 options if I remove cable from 2nd drive boots as normal. I connected the sata cable with the flat end (see photo) to mobo.
Help please.

Hi, I have now tried swapping cables around ie cable from boot drive to 2nd drive cable from second drive to boot drive every way I can think of, boot drive works with both cables but as soon as I connect the second drive I get Drive 0 not found (boot drive) Drive 1 not found (second drive) I have been into bios and made sure both drives are set to on, the second drive is a brand new drive anymore HELP!! please

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:47 PM

If you hook up just the new drive, does it show up in the BIOS?

Edited by garmanma, 01 November 2008 - 02:48 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 russellsnr

russellsnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

If you hook up just the new drive, does it show up in the BIOS?

Hi, NO nothing shows, just boots to page that says press F1 to continue or F2 to enter bios if I press F1 it just repeats to hit F1 or F2.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

NO nothing shows, just boots to page that says press F1 to continue or F2 to enter bios if I press F1 it just repeats to hit F1 or F2.

I'm confused, are you saying you cannot enter the BIOS?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 russellsnr

russellsnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:57 PM

NO nothing shows, just boots to page that says press F1 to continue or F2 to enter bios if I press F1 it just repeats to hit F1 or F2.

I'm confused, are you saying you cannot enter the BIOS?

Sorry for confuse, When I hit F2 I go to bios, there I have set bios to ON for both drive 0 (main drive) and drive 1(2nd drive) if I do not connect drive 1 the system boots to windows if I connect drive 1 I get the message, Drive 0 not found serial ata sata 0
followed by drive 1 not found serial ata sata 2

its only when I connect the second drive that I have these problems.

#9 smurfgod

smurfgod

• Members
  • 446 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:14 AM

So, If I'm hearing you correctly you've got one drive with power, and 2 drives hooked to the motherboard when its failing you right? If that's correct you need to get one of http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16812104652 (with shipping its probably cheaper to go get it from your local computer store) As long as you get one that is molex to sata and not the other way around.
If you're trying to boot with no power cable connected to your main drive you won't get anywhere because it needs juice to spin up and find your operating system and other crucial software. In the meantime you need to disconnect the new harddrive completely from the motherboard and act like it isn't there.

#10 russellsnr

russellsnr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:55 AM

Hi, No problems with power as when I conect both drives I can feel a slight vibration in both, please see photo 2.
I also purchases a new data cable that I have tested with the main drive and works fine, with it came this (see photo 1) but as far as I can see there is no spare connect from the main PSU to conect to.

Attached Files

Edited by russellsnr, 02 November 2008 - 03:58 AM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 04:27 AM

If you do not have the hard drive attached to the PSU then it will not operate. What you may be feeling is the vibrations of the other hdd spinning up though the metal of the case. If you don't have enough molex connectors you will need to purchase a splitter like the one at the top of this page.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users