Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overactive Hardrive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Thomasm

Thomasm

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:59 AM

Seagate Barracuda
7200.10 500GB Hard Drive - 7200, 16MB, Serial ATA-300, OEM (TSD-500AS2)

This is a new drive installed as part of a new PC I put together last month. The drive is awfully noisy, but not loud, and not clicking or pinging. Just the standard chatter sound that hard drives make.

The problem is the frequency that the drive is making this sound. It starts chattering at different times, but when it does, it just doesn't seem to stop until I restart the PC. The best example is when my monitor goes into power saving mode. The drive really gets going and the red light up front on the PC case blinks rapidly. I often will ignore it or restart the PC after the chattering starts to irritate me. I changed the option for when to turn the hard disks off to "never" but the drive still churns as soon as the monitor goes off. The churning also happens at other random times, like after a Windows update is installed.

I tried running the SeaTools app but it just keeps searching for a compatible drive and never gives any results. As far as I can tell the drive chatter and rapid light blinking aren't causing any performance issues. Everything runs smoothly (except for the random speaker popping, but that may be unrelated). This drive is used only for the OS. Again, the drive doesn't sound like it's failing, but the constant churning is irritating and probably isn't good for the drive. Right now my PC is nearly silent, but eventually something will cause the hard drive to start chattering quickly and once it starts, it doesn't let up. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Other specs:

Vista Home Premium SP1, AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ 2.60GHz
Processor Black Edition Retail, OCZ Platinum Revision-2 2048MB PC6400 DDR2
800MHz Dual Channel Memory (2 x 1024MB) (MCM-M2NSLI-5000)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:33 AM

If your computer is enabled to go into hibernation all of the information in the memory is stored in the hdd before the power is shut off to it. This could explain why it is active at that time, the rest of it just sounds like normal use noises.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:45 PM

hi,,, a lot of tasks are shedualed to start up when your pc is in idol, also vista has an auto de fragger and this also starts up when the pc is idol,,, here's a link on how to see whats causing it,,,
http://www.pctipsbox.com/detect-what-proce...our-hard-drive/
also if your connected to a router and have a perminant connection then all sorts of things take the opertunity to look for updates when the pc is in idol. there are a good few things that run then like superfetch, windows defender(one of the worst), and indexing.
i switched of defender which is crap and a lot of the thrashing stopped,,,,
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#4 Thomasm

Thomasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.

dc3:

I have the PC set to sleep after 60 minutes, hibernate set to "never", and "turn hard disk off" set to "never". The thrashing starts when the display turns off (which is set for 20 minutes). I figured that when the PC is idle for 20 minutes that some hard drive activity is normal. But the HD shouldn't continue churning madly for 5 minutes when I start using the PC again, right?

figgis41: I've tried to eliminate every unnecessary program through msconfig but Defender is still running. It's off now so I'll see how things go for the next few days. If I get more churning I'll try running the Windows Reliability monitor. Right now my drive is quiet and Reliability Monitor only shows a list of system processes.

#5 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:34 PM

hi,,, switch it of in services,,, also take a look on this site for other unneeded services,,,
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 06:04 PM

:thumbsup: . On a side note how do you like your processor? I am looking into a similar upgrade soon since my now aging socket 478 is dang near obsolete.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 Thomasm

Thomasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

:thumbsup: . On a side note how do you like your processor? I am looking into a similar upgrade soon since my now aging socket 478 is dang near obsolete.

So far so good. Everything runs smoothly despite the busy hard drive. I think for the price this is a great processor to get.

#8 Thomasm

Thomasm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

I came back to my PC after it sat idle for 20+ minutes to find, as usual, a churning hard drive. The PC was not in sleep mode; just the display was off. This time I ran the reliability check and found the culprit to be C:\System Volume Information, writing at a steady 500MB/min. This lasted maybe 15 or 20 minutes and gradually slowed down. I gather that the System Vol Info is a hidden folder used to create restore points (right?) but does it really need to write so much data? I never experienced/noticed this before on other machines with XP. One thing I still need to do is look through all the Vista services and turn off the ones I don't need.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 12:56 PM

Well...if you conduct routine system backups consistently...maybe you want to turn off system restore.

If you don't backup routinely...probably best leave it on for when you need it (and you will).

To better understand the SR function: http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...6fb3f01033.mspx

Louis

#10 figgis41

figgis41

• Members
  • 801 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

hi,,, take a look at this about when a restore point is made,,, apparently if you look at your pc wrongly it creates a restore point,,,,lol
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/
i have set mine to make one when switched on and after an install,,,,, all the others i stopped,,,, i wonder why it creates 1 at midnight???? strange.
good luck.
Figgis,,,, LUFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users