Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

no room on my disc space

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lynne33

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:44 AM

i installed the windows xp update and now my computer says there is no room on my disc space,is this to do with me installing it,coz it was ok before.?
i sometimes have 555mb free then within secs it goes down to 34kb,
i have no idea why this happens
i had loads of room before ,my disc room should be 9 something
thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,437 posts
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:42 PM

This process will clean out your Temp files and your Temporary Internet Files. Please do both steps:

Step 1:Delete Temp Files
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others. If you had trouble deleting a file, reboot into Safe Mode and follow this step again. You should now be able to delete all the files.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.

See if that helps

#3 Xerxes

• Banned
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:48 PM

You also may want to run a few scans to make sure there is no spyware / virus downloading stuff into your computer without you knowing about it;

Virus scanners

Housecall Trendmicro Scan
Panda ActiveScan

Malware scanners
Spybot:S&D Download
Ad-Aware SE Download

Good luck :thumbsup:

Edited by Xerxes, 06 May 2005 - 03:07 PM.

#4 lynne33

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:29 PM

thank you,i have done all those u said,maybe my drive is not big enough.

#5 Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 04:48 PM

Hi lynne33

A good program to remove unneccessary files on your hard drive is CCleaner. Download that and run it. You may be surprised what it finds.

When you open that program you will see three tabs. Do not attempt to do any cleaning with the Issues tab as it removes Registry entries and you must be very sure of what you are doing with that. In any event, very little space will be saved by cleaning items shown under the Issues tab.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users