Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lyncis Wireless Router problems.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Neil B.

Neil B.

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:40 PM

Hi all. Im new to this forum (its my first) and I am hoping to get a little help.

I have a Lynksis wireless router...i tried plugging it into my desktop computer and using it to get onto the internet with my laptop. But of course it doesnt work...my laptop finds the router, but will not connect to the internet...

I have 2 laptops, so i decided i would try and hook the router up to one of the laptops and see if the other gets a connection..bingo, it worked but i still want to be able to use it with my desktop.

Any advice and suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks.

(also if you know anything about an internet device called an "Air Card" and Xbox live i may have some seperate questions for you, so please speak up if you know anything about the two. Im having a little problem using the "Air Card" to connect to Xbox live with my laptop, but i dont know why...it has worked for quite a while up till now.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

I have a Lynksis wireless router...i tried plugging it into my desktop computer and using it to get onto the internet with my laptop. But of course it doesnt work...my laptop finds the router, but will not connect to the internet...

I have 2 laptops, so i decided i would try and hook the router up to one of the laptops and see if the other gets a connection..bingo, it worked but i still want to be able to use it with my desktop.

Hi Neil,

Welcome to BC. A little confused about your question.

You connected your router to desktop computer thats fine, get onto internet with your laptop. :thumbsup:

So then you used a different laptop and connected to router and your were able to connect internet.

This is what I understand, correct me if wrong.

Lets check your desktop first.I wrote these commands assuming your OS is XP.

1) connect ethernet cable from router and make sure the LAN is enabled. Start--> control panel-->network connections--> LAN

2) Once disable firewall and have a go. later you can enable again. Control panel--> Windows firewall.

3) Then check if your getting proper ipaddress. Start-->run-->type "cmd" (without quotes). In cmd prompt type "ipconfig" (without quotes)

4) For linksys it result of ipconfig should be similarly as below if your router still with default factory settings
Default Gateway:192.168.1.1
IP address :192.168.1.X
Subnetmask:255.255.255.0
5) If you dont get above results then let us know.

If you get them
Now on your internet browser options. Control panel-->Internet options--> Connections. Just check if it "Never dial connections" .

Thats all I can think of now. I have no idea about "Air Card". Lets us see if others add to it.

Sreez

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

#3 Neil B.

Neil B.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 19 November 2008 - 04:34 PM

Yah thanks that helped. My firewall was the problem apparently...

I have another question. I just got a wireless adapter for my moms desktop, thats compatable with the router...And im having the same problem, the wireless adapter on my moms desktop can pick up the routers signal but not connect to the internet....could it be the same problem?

Thanks for your help.

#4 sreez

sreez

• Members
  • 634 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 21 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Hi mate,

Have a go check the above options which I described and let us know what happens

Cheers.

LIFE is so simple, if you know the reason of your existence at certain place. Treat every step as first one and trust god, friends, relatives and everyone.

Its a simple magic trick given to me by one friend also and I am at this stage  :love4u:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users