Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Funny characters displayed instead of the correct language

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 samoyed

samoyed

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:15 PM

Hi,

Pls see attached file.

Funny characters displayed instead of the correct language. How can I get XP to display the correct language.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:47 AM

Hi there, Those sybols look like ASCII. Before we had programs that would translate into english. This was the way terminals would talk to each other. I do not know your computer so I won't be able to instruct you how to change from ASCII to english. Maybe someone else in the forum could help. They would need the make and model of your machine. As well as your Operating System. I hope this was of some help to you. Let us know how you made out.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#3 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:54 AM

Hi news4la,

Thanks.

Notebook = Toshiba Satellite A80.
Operating System: Windows XP Home

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:04 AM

What's the file for? Do you know what language it might be in?
It'll likely involve installing support for another language in the Regional Options of Control Panel - but I'm just guessing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Hi usasma,

The language is mandarin.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Most likely you'll have to install support for far-eastern languages in the Regional and Language Options applet in Control Panel.
Once it's open, select the Languages tab and there'll be a check box to install different language files.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:02 PM

Hi usasma,

I have already done that prior to asking the forum for help.
But I still face the same problem.

I really hope someone can tell me how to resolve this.

Thanks.

#8 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:20 AM

You will also need your Windiws XP CD to install East Asian Character Recognition software.

#9 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:18 AM

hi frankp316,

I tried installing the East Asian language again. Weird, it didn't ask me for the WIN XP disc. I waited for a long time. Nothing.

#10 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:22 AM

I posted this for someone else a couple of weeks ago. It won't ask you to insert the Windows XP CD but that's where the files come from.

I found the instructions in Windows XP Help & Support. You should be able to find the same instructions under Customize Your Computer>Date, Time, Region & Language>Region & Language>Install East Asian Language Files. You go into Control Panel under Regional & Language Options. You go to the Languages tab>Supplemental Language Support. Check the Install files for East Asian Languages Support box. You click OK and insert the Windows XP CD and install the files. You will have to restart your computer afterwards.

#11 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:49 AM

Hi frankp316,

I can't find my XP CD.
Is there another way out?

Thanks.

#12 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:42 AM

I don't know. I can only tell you what I did.

#13 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

Thanks frankp316

#14 samoyed

samoyed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 195 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hi,

Problem solved with the below

http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/apploc.mspx

#15 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 23 November 2008 - 02:07 AM

Glad to hear you were able to resolve your problem, samoyed.
Thanks for posting back, with the solution.
It could prove helpful, to some one else. :thumbsup:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users