Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

after xp reinstall most of my hard drive disappears

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 biggal

biggal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:21 PM

hi. after problems removing a backdoor trojan decided to do a reinstall. I had windows xp pro on my pc which I bought second hand - had to by myself a windows xp home edition cd. On starting the process i chose a new install. When asked which partition to install to I only get one option - as far as I know my harddrive has no partitions. Have tried a few times now and my harddrive which has a 150 gig capacity says I have only 29 gig available - how can this be when I have selected a new install and backed up all my mp3's and avi's to an external harddrive?

Any help much appreciated as I want to put back my backed up files and give the external drive back to it's rightful owner! Have tried reinstalling a few times but same problem..........

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:21 AM

Hi,

It sounds like when you've reinstalled windows it has created a new partition, a small one at that.

Go to My Computer and have a look to see how many HD it showing, if it's been partitioned you'll have something like C: & D:.

If this is the case your going to have to use partitioning software to merge them both.
~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Did you delete everything on the hard drive...before attempting to install XP Home?

Where are you getting these numbers from? What tells you that that you have a 150GB drive...what tells you that you have 29GB "available"?

AFAIK: No drive has a 150GB capacity. A 160GB stated capacity drive...when formatted reduces to 148GB.

Louis

#4 biggal

biggal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:57 AM

only one drive is showing and that is 'c'...........
re drive size c/properties indicates 28gb free and 152 gb in total

I did not delete stuff off the hard drive before doing the instasll as I assumed everything would be gone by doing the install.
Any clues what to do next?

Many thanks

#5 E-Mu

E-Mu

Bleepin' Psychopomp

• Members
  • 1,386 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:05 PM

ok,

Have a look now and see if you can find out where the space is being used.
  • Right click on your Harddrive and select Explore
  • Now Right click on each folder and click properties - see what size the folder is
Do this for each folder and see if you can account for what is using up your space, eg documents, music, pictures, programs etc.

Edited by Emu1616, 30 October 2008 - 12:05 PM.

~ E-Mu ~

"Emu, You Moo, We All Moo for Emu!" <-- Thanks to Animal

"If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0"

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

There are various types of installs.

If you had XP Pro installed...and then attempted to install XP Home without deleting the previous install...any number of situations is possible (including a dual install on the same partition).

I would take a look at the C: partition from Explorer view and see if I have 2 Windows folders reflected.

I would also take a look in Disk Management to see what is reflected there concerning this hard drive.

One tool you can use to check space allocations, as emu1616 suggested: TreeSize Pro Trial - http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/

Louis

#7 biggal

biggal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:57 PM

I have a feeling it's a dual install on the same partition. However numpty me just thought when I pressed 'L' - the option to install and overwrite that this would be fine! Have installed the software suggested and this is the result although I cannot find all these documents.......

documents and settings 74per cent
prog files 2.1 per cent etc

acoording to treesize all my old docs still there.........? What should I do next? I do not seem to be able to delete things? Thanks again for help - much appreciated!

Attached Files

Edited by biggal, 30 October 2008 - 01:19 PM.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:34 PM

Hmmm...when you boot the system...are you given choices to boot into? If you have 2 installs, this is what should happen.

Take a look at the C: partition and see if there are any folders that are out of the ordinary.

What does Disk Management show? Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc, hit Enter.

How many partitions, actual size, and free space left on each partition?

Louis

#9 biggal

biggal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

just done that - just shows the one c drive - with layout : Partition
type : basic
file sys:ntfs
152.66 gig capacity , 28 gb free ,

I'm afraid I would not know too much about what folders seemed out of the ordinary ...................

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:13 PM

Get the TreeSize to look at the contents of the Documents and Settings folder. A look there will tell you what's been put in there to occupy all of that space.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,558 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:05 PM

Long shot here...but you don't have any Norton/Symantec software installed, do you?

Are you using System Restore?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users