Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't play system sounds

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 kjm782

kjm782

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:48 PM

Hello,

I was hoping someone could help me with a problem that I am having with my computer. I have been searching all over the internet for a solution and nothing so far has worked. The problem is that none of my Windows XP (SP3) system sounds work. If I go into the Control Panel to try and change the sound schemes, the Preview button is grayed out. I also do not get any audio in Realplayer or any web sites that use Flashplayer like Youtube. However Windows Media Player and Winamp both seem to be working fine. This seems to have just started randomly a few days ago.

Some people have suggested installing the K-Lite codec pack and using a tool that is included to repair the sound. I have also tried reinstalling my sound card drivers and Flashplayer with no luck. Other people have suggested checking my registry for a missing "wavemapper" key which wasn't the problem either. When I try system restore it goes through the process and then tells me that no changes were made so unfortunately I can't use that.

I haven't made any major hardware or software changes recently and I am out of ideas at this point.

My motherboard:
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Motherbo...me=GA-M57SLI-S4

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Have you tried replacing any missing/corrupt system files...by using the sfc /scannow command?

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Did you try the K-Lite solution?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2008 - 08:22 AM.

#3 kjm782

kjm782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Wow, I had never heard of the SFC file checker before. Unfortunately it didn't fix my problem but I'll definitely remember to try that the next time I have a problem. Thanks!

The K-Lite solution doesn't work for me either. The check box to fix sound problems is disabled because it says no problems were detected.

Do you have any other suggestions? I am willing to try just about anything at this point. I'm afraid that I'm going to have to format and reinstall Windows but I'm worried that this will just happen again. I've never been so frustrated with my computer before!

Thanks for your help.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,562 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Well...I would certainly consider a repair install long before I consider doing a clean install.

But before I did that...would uninstall then reinstall my sound/audio drivers.

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#5 mikesg

mikesg

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

A couple of problems I have dealt with:

Do you have a sound card installed as well as on board sound?

Have you installed the newest version of Adobe Flash Player lately? I had a similar problem with similar symptoms.

When you open the Sound icon in the Control Panel, does it show a Device at all? Are you using USB Speakers by any chance?

#6 twentycats

twentycats

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:35 PM

Not knowing who manufactured your pc, I would like to reccomend that you boot to partition and use your "system tree" to diagnose the problem. Try hitting F12, just as you see the manufacturer's logo, you should be able to enter the manufacturer's diagnostic program. ( in the case of Dell computers, it is F12, could be diferent on other brands ) It may also be found on the rescource cd that came with your pc. Look in your user's guide to find the correct way to access diagnostics. No user's guide ? Go to manufacturer's web site. You may also want to check your Direct X - click START , Click RUN, type in box dxdiag , click ok, and put her through the tests. And finally, if system restore is not working it means there is , or was , a corrupt file on your pc, and Sys. Restore will not restore . You may need to clear the restore points- after you've fixed you audio problem. Open your Controll panel, Performance and Maintainence , System, System Properties, System Restore - turn it off, wait a few moments and turn it back on. Your system should create new restore points . Hope this helps !

#7 kjm782

kjm782
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:04 PM

I hadn't updated Flash player in a while (unless it was updated in the background and I didn't know about it) I downloaded the latest version though and that didn't fix it. Initially I looked all over the internet for ways to fix the problem because I couldn't watch youtube videos. I tried the K-Lite fix and the registry fix for the "wavemapper" key with no success. It wasn't until I played around with my computer for a while that I found out that Windows wasn't playing audio either. When I open up the sounds menu in the Control Panel my sound card is listed under the hardware tab and Windows says it is working properly.

My sound card is built into my motherboard and my speakers are not USB. The strange thing is that the audio works fine with Winamp and Windows Media Player. I tried playing mp3 files, .wav files and watching DVD's and had no problems. I also ran the audio tests in the DiretX diagnostic tool and everything plays fine. This is a computer that I built myself about a year ago so unfortunately I don't have a diagnostic disc from Dell, HP, etc. that I can use.

#8 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2008 - 12:33 PM

Kim, try checking http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/175203/no-audio-device-detected-no-sound/. I had a similar problem and this is what fixed it for me.

#9 MuradWysinger

MuradWysinger

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:13 PM

just did a recovery on my e-machines windows xp computer. And I have no sound I tried tha device manager and to ajust tha sound no lucc thou! Need free firewall software and I don't know how to register. Also software for my HP Hewlett Packard web cam.

Murad{son}
Diane{Mom}
407-860-3229
dubsacent@hotmail.com

#10 Nightspear

Nightspear

• Members
  • 364 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2008 - 04:31 AM

try the link i posted above if that doesn't work you may need to update drivers. Do you use an on board sound device or an expansion sound card? If you use the on board sound what the make and model is your pc? If the expansion card what brand and model?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users