Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I accidentally deleted something...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Arjunchoo

Arjunchoo

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

So while i was going through my Zune media player software, i was deleting music that i just dont listen to anymore.
i have an 80g zune, and i had to free up space to sync up my library. Quite a bit of music.
So in about the 3rd hour of deleting music...i get delirious, and just start clicking at things and deleting.

Somehow, I (while holding ctrl to select music) hit ctrl+A and hit delete. Yep I deleted my entire library. I'm awesome...
I deleted the music, not only from my library, but from the music folder on my computer.

The recycle bin only has room for so much and has only a fraction of the music I had originally.

Please...HELP ME RETRIEVE IT!

I have heard legend tell of a mysterious place known as MS-DOS...and by harnessing its powers, you are able to retrieve any old files that you accidentally deleted?...
Are there any wise wizards who can tell me about this legendary mysterious place? (sorry just had to)

Thank you in advance!

(I run Vista 32-bit)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

There is no DOS with XP or Vista.
The important thing is to quit using the computer until you have decided on a plan to reclaim the files so you don't overwrite the files beyond recognition.
I've heard positive things about PC Inspector
http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Arjunchoo

Arjunchoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

It is asking me to pick a logical drive, what is that?
I select physical drives and give it the min and max sizes to scan...after that it shows nothing in the logical drives?

How do I use this program?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:10 AM

When a hard drive is partitioned, that partitions becomes a Logical Drive. You can have more than one partition, and each one will be assigned a letter, most Logical Drives containing the operating system is designated as C: drive. If your computer is a retail model like a Dell or HP, then the drive that they are asking for should be the C: drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:28 AM

Hi, I also run Vista Ultimate 32 Bit. I is a factory install. I have 3 Partitions C for OS. H for Recovery Partiton. I for Multimedia/T V Tuner Recording. Unfortunately System Restore only backs up programs. So it will not work for music data. I wish I could help further.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:54 AM

PCInspector is a very powerful program - but it's also very difficult to use.
I suggest trying GetDataBack from http://www.runtime.org It's as powerful as PCInspector - but easier to use. They'll tell you what you can recover for free - but to actually get it back it'll cost about $80 US
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 KTFire

KTFire

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:32 AM

Vista has a feature called Shadow Copies. Right click on the folder in question and see if you have the restore to a previous verison option. I used this feature when one of my kids deleted the her User folder . If you don't have the option on the folder,
Check this out, it should help you.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...-windows-vista/

#8 crash76

crash76

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:34 PM

Go over to www.download.com and find a program called File Rescue Plus. I've used it before & it works well.

#9 gasman16

gasman16

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

http://www.ccleaner.com/update/?v=2.13.720&l=1033

there is a pretty good program on this site called RECUVA. its free and it might help you get your music back. worth a try

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users