Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whose ready for winter?

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:20 PM

Well yesterday morning I woke up to a nice fall morning. It was a pretty clear day, and not too cold, maybe in the 40's. Anyway, sometime in the afternoon it began to gently snow and melt when it hit the ground. This is usual for the end of October so no one thought too much about it. Anyway, later in the day it started to snow quite a bit which is pretty unusual. It stopped and I eventually went to bed.

I woke up and my mom tells me we have a two hour delay. I am very excited of course! So I go on the computer and do my usual morning routine of checking my e-mails and looking at deal websites. After a while, I hear that school is closed! Of course everyone gets on instant messenger messaging each other, texting, calling, etc. to let everyone else know.

Anyway, this is the earliest I can ever remember having a snow day. Most of the trees around here still have a lot of leaves on them too. I remember hearing some people say it's going to be a bad winter, and my mom was told by a farmer (I don't know how reliable of a source he is though :thumbsup:), that this is suppose to be the worst winter in 30 years!

This is all suppose to melt within a couple days, but I guess it's a wake up call that winter is just around the corner!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

Lucky you! I love snow (I know, I know, most people don't) - but the first snow fall in particular is sheer magic!

Here in my part of British Columbia use Halloween as a guideline to remind us to get the snow tires on the car but, for the most part, we get incredible amounts of rain during the winter - ugh.

Your mom's farmer friend may be right about this winter being harsh - don't know how they do it but the old 'Farmer's Almanac' always seems to be more accurate than our scientific weather forecasters.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 lilachamster

lilachamster

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:55 PM

I'm in the UK, and it snowed here yesterday.

It is unusual for October.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I used to think I was indecisive.... but now I'm not too sure

Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Others stay for a while and leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same......

"Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards." - Soren Kierkegaard

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

I am in Central New York and we did get a bit of snowfall.. but if this is going to be the worst winter in 30 years I SO do not want to be here :thumbsup: Ok now I am scared.

The older I get the more I despise winter. :flowers:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:43 AM

As to the accuracy of the Farmer's Almanac, I may be able to shed some light on that. A few years ago a friend of mine was having lunch with one of the OFA's editors, and posed a question concerning how they manage to compile the weather for an entire year. The answer was not what he expected. "We guess", the editor told him.That could have just been a bit of Yankee humor, but I have long suspected that that is the way that all weather forecasts are made.

I have lived in southern New Hampshire for nearly all of fifty years, so I have plenty of experience of New England winters. This year, our preparations were expensive, but we hope we have found the perfect solution to New England weather - we moved to western North Carolina. The total yearly snowfall in Asheville, NC is less than what we would get in one storm back north. Asheville is in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and the climate is very much like that of New England, without the harsh extremes (winter and summer) that New England is famous for. And it is turning out to be much cheaper to live here as well. Time will tell, but I hope we made the right decision. Because I do not see any way that we will ever be able to afford to go back. Not that I can think of any reason that we would want to. :thumbsup:

#6 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

I'm in the UK, and it snowed here yesterday.

It is unusual for October.

Yeah in Central England it snowed didn't see a Snow Flake where I am just quite a bit of Rain this morning and thats all I normally see, I hate not having Snow I like it better than Rain :thumbsup:

I'm not at School but the Last Snow Day I remember was when I was in Year 9 that's when I was 13 (4 Years ago). Sheffield is a very Hilly Place but we get mainly rain because of the Higher Peak District North which brings us Rain

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

I live in Central New York and got blasted with 17 inches of snow. Lost power for about 47 hours. Generator broke. Trees down. Oy.

I thought I was ready. But I'm not.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

I knew that somewhere here there was some significant snowfall. I did not know it was that bad. I am sorry to hear of it.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

I knew that somewhere here there was some significant snowfall. I did not know it was that bad. I am sorry to hear of it.

I hope this won't be the worst winter in 30 years. Winters are bad enough here in the Tug Hill area.

#10 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:42 AM

I love snow, but I'm in t-shirt weather at the moment in the midwest. Halloween is awfully late for T-shirt weather!

#11 woodyblade

woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:15 AM

Certainly not even close to T-Shirt Weather here, more like Think Rain Coat weather. It's been raining for 3 days now (Where I am anyway). It will be like this for another month or so then when we get to December it slows down on the Rain and Cools down in the Temperatures to the Point where you think you need 2 pairs of Gloves and a Extra Thick Coat.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 10:39 PM

Here in SC we get a mix of weather. In my area we get more ice than show, taking out the power usually at least once a winter sometimes for days.
Snow is fine if it stays....its one thing up north where its always snowy and so there are no puddles and mud but around here snow will come and then melt in the next day or two leaving lots of mud. I know rain does that but snow seems to be worse....

I do not like the cold. I like nothing below 70 really. I mean I can stand to about 50 but when it gets below that and I have to put on 8 layers to stay warm I am not happy. Its hard to move.

I like t-shirt weather....less layers.

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:05 AM

I like t-shirt weather....less layers.

On you or on the young ladies? (We both know the true answer, lol)

Here just South of the Mason-Dixon in the foothills of Appalachia we saw a few flurries last week and a 12 hr cold snap is due in tonight. Insulated Bibs and Arctic Jackets were pulled out of storage today (I love Carhart). The dog is upset because a straw bed is too "uncomfortable" for him and its too cold to sleep under the GMC and he's not coming inside this winter (Hardwood floors and dog urine do not mix well).

Give me a week to fix my blast heater in the Shop and then who cares how cold it is bring on the snow and ice!!!

BTW the old folks here say it's gonna be the worst since 96 for us, but we need the snow to build up the water table.

Posted Image

#14 thelittleduck

thelittleduck

• Members
  • 920 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 03:05 AM

We had our winter in the summer. We are now entering an Ice Age.

#15 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

We had our winter in the summer. We are now entering an Ice Age.

Now that the "global warming" scare has finally played out, as hoaxes are wont to do, the media will next be touting the coming of another Ice Age. During the last century the Media flip-flopped between burning and freezing at least four times. It is just another tactic meant to keep people off balance and to keep people's attention focused on something besides the real problems. In this country, if the public were allowed to catch its' breath and take a really good look around, it would not bode well for Washington. Or for most state capitals, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users