Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Perm deletion/recovery

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ardixan

Ardixan

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:56 PM

I recently used Eraser, a free overwriter, to eradicate personal documents on a drive I intend to sell. The problem is I also deleted a writing folder with manuscripts I would've liked to have kept. I did the 35-pass overwrite. Is there a way to recover the files I want after this, or am I simply going to be forced to eat the loss? I've tried using file recovery hardware and so far none of them can find what I want.

If it helps, I've also done a system restore--a complete rewrite--in the month prior to deleting these files via Eraser. A few of the documents existed prior to the rewrite. Since Eraser only targets specific areas where the files you choose are located, could it also be possible to recover a few of them from the older versions, as well? Outdated manuscripts yes, but a partial loss is nowhere near as bad as a complete loss.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

35 passes??
i believe they're toast
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

Any file you targeted, as well as the internal link used by the OS to find it, is gone and completely overwritten. Even a professional service will only be able to recover fragments here and there, if they can recover anything at all.
Unless you have earlier versions, or copies stored elsewhere on your hard drive or on a disk, I am afraid the files you want are gone forever.
Sorry,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:54 PM

It took the West Germans 10 years to recover the Stasi data, but they did. Nothing seems to ever be permanently gone. It might be worth getting a second opinion from Ontrack, telling them exactly what you did and seeing what they say. They are not fee. They are here:

www.ontrackdatarecovery.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users