Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer will boots with No Monitor Signal and Beep Codes

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 icecoldmasta

icecoldmasta

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:40 PM

Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone knew what is wrong with my computer. Just this morning, I booted it up, it got past the POST, and when it got to loading Windows XP at the loading screen, it kept shutting down on me, and then after that, It booted to a screen that asked me if I would like to boot into Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, or Starting Windows Normally.

I tried all 3 of them with no luck, and as I was concerned with my computer, I unplugged it, and removed 1 RAM chip out of the 2 I had installed. I tried booting again, and this time it said that I had removed some RAM and to press Enter. I pressed enter and it entered an endless loop of incomprehensible computer lingo that was called the "Intel PXE Boot" or something similar to that. So, I shut it down again, removed the Hard Drive, hooked the power and SATA back up to it, booted again with no luck, but to the computer simply running without any beep codes.

Then, I tried another Hard Drive that I had laying around. Hooked it up, still there was no change. So now it's back to what it was: with both the RAM chips installed along with the same Hard Drive I had before. Now, whenever I try to boot, it runs without any monitor input, and plays a beep code as such: high beep, low beep, high beep, low beep, then stops...keeps running for about 5-10 minutes and then shuts itself off.

I don't know what to do with it anymore.

Specifications:

Motherboard:
Intel D946GZI LGA 775 Intel 946GZ Micro ATX Motherboard

Processor:
Intel Pentium E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor

RAM:
OCZ Gold Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Power:
Not sure the specifications...I'm pretty sure it's 400W.

HD:
Western Digital

Operating System:
Windows XP Home Edition

Thanks in advance,
IceColdMasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:58 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

First thing I would do is reset the cmos. You can do this by either checking your manual, and resetting the proper jumper's, or by taking the thin, quarter sized watch battery out for a few minutes (unplug your computer first of course).

The next thing I would try (since you already tried the ram), would be either try a new power supply in your computer, or try yours in another computer.

After you try that, I would have to think it may be the motherboard going bad. One way to tell is if you look around at the capacitors. If you see some bulging at the top or cracking, they are going bad. This isn't always the reason for motherboard failures, but if you do see it occurring, it is a definite sign of motherboard failure.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 icecoldmasta

icecoldmasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

Welcome to bleepingcomputer!

First thing I would do is reset the cmos. You can do this by either checking your manual, and resetting the proper jumper's, or by taking the thin, quarter sized watch battery out for a few minutes (unplug your computer first of course).

The next thing I would try (since you already tried the ram), would be either try a new power supply in your computer, or try yours in another computer.

After you try that, I would have to think it may be the motherboard going bad. One way to tell is if you look around at the capacitors. If you see some bulging at the top or cracking, they are going bad. This isn't always the reason for motherboard failures, but if you do see it occurring, it is a definite sign of motherboard failure.

Hello, thanks for responding quickly.

I have previously reset the CMOS, left the battery out for about 10 minutes (just to be safe) and reinstalled it. Not much helped there.

The only other power supply that I have handy is an old one, which doesnt have all the power hookups I need for my newer motherboard. Although I don't think the problem would lie with my power supply, it was working fine this morning.

And I couldn't believe that the motherboard is going bad already. I haven't even had it for 3 weeks now. It's brand new, fresh from the store. It worked when I got it, but now just everything went to crap ever since I woke up this morning and turned it on....

#4 icecoldmasta

icecoldmasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:03 AM

Okay, so now it runs like it used to, but as it approaches the Windows Logo where it loads windows, it simply restarts itself and comes up with the "Last Known Good Configuration" screen.

The problem was a faulty ram chip, so it's currently out, but now I think the problem is with the OS, but I cannot reinstall XP because my CD-ROM drive is not compatible with this computer. Is there any way I could fix the hard drive without a CD???

Thanks,
IceColdMasta

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:29 PM

What happens if you click on the Last known good configuration?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Why do you think the CD-ROM is not compatible with this computer? That sounds a bit odd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 icecoldmasta

icecoldmasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:44 PM

What happens if you click on the Last known good configuration?

Can you boot into Safe Mode?

Why do you think the CD-ROM is not compatible with this computer? That sounds a bit odd.

Last Known Good Configuration---it boots like it boots if I run Windows normally. It gets to the Windows splash logo when Windows loads, and then it stops during loading and resets itself.

Safe Mode--- It enters a crazy fury of computer lingo and then resets.

The CD-ROM isn't compatible because I don't have the right IDE cable to connect from the Motherboard to the IDE-in port of the drive. The problem is that I only have a small IDE cable, and then I have a few bigger ones, and the motherboard needs a big IDE cable connector, but the CD-ROM needs a differently sized IDE cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users