Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Ghost on Vista

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:45 PM

Hi,

I've just installed Norton Ghost on Vista, but I can't get it to work. I just get a screen that says the following:

"This program is unable to connect and communicate with the Norton Ghost backup service on [COMPUTER NAME]

Reconnect
Click this link to try and re-establish communiaction with the backup service on [COMPUTER NAME]

Deploy agent
Clik this link to deploy the Norton Ghost agent to [COMPUTER NAME]

Edit computer list
Clik this link to edit the list of computer that can be connected to and managed."

If I click reconnect a screen with a green bar moving across flashes up quickly and goes.

Please can someone tell me how to get Norton Ghost working?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:16 PM

The first thing I would suspect would be a firewall blocking access
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:52 PM

My firewall is ZoneAlarm. I tried going to Program Control => Programs and making sure there was a green tick for everything but it didn't help. The Norton Ghost tray icon has a red circle with a white cross in it in the corner. What setting do I need to change in the firewall?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 01:22 PM

The Norton Ghost tray icon has a red circle with a white cross in it in the corner.

What happens when you hover your mouse over the icon or right-click it? Does it give you a short message?
It sounds like you've missed a setting somewhere.
You can try their forums:
http://community.norton.com/norton/?category.id=nis
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 422 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:22 AM

Nothing happens when I hover over it. When I right click, I get a menu with most options grayed out. I can click on Open Norton Ghost, Reconnect or About.

I'll try posting on the Norton forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users