Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Christmas is coming ...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:47 PM

Know it must seem ever so early for a post like this, especially since Halloween isn't even here yet, but do hope no one minds.

With the nasty financial crunch affecting most of us this year, not only are food banks down but hopes for toys for the needy are forecast to be dismal - drat!

So, just some wee things to share ...

If each person/family buying their weekly groceries bought one (just one) extra item - whether a box of pasta or a simple can of soup - each big shopping trip and dropped it in the Food Bank box on the way out of the store, our local food banks would be helped ever so much.

And while most people can find money somewhere to buy a toy for the needy, it's the teenagers in families that are often forgotten and the elderly everywhere.

May I please ask those that can to perhaps pick up a wee something or other while out shopping for their own Christmas list - it needn't be expensive, honestly. A pair of warm slippers or gloves ... a bottle of nail polish and/or nail polish remover ... sample size shampoos/conditioners ... box of hot chocolate mix ... cross word puzzle...etc.

And I'd love to hear some ideas for gifts ... the hardest thing (for me, at least) is coming up with ideas for teenage boys - and this year I'm completely stumped.

Thanks so much and with kindest thoughts,
Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_Abacus 7_*

Guest_Abacus 7_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:15 PM

Sweetness, you have a Heart of Gold, that we all know.

What people don't know? I was Born on Halloween, I am a New Kid on the Block.

For this Worthy Cause no Offense is ever taken, as long as People Support it!

Let those Tiny Trinkets start to Flow before Halloween, Mates, and keep them coming after?

We are Watching you!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#3 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:19 PM

Teenage boys are easy - they all want the same thing. Teenage girls! :thumbsup:

#4 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:31 PM

Hard to stuff that in a lovely little Christmas stocking, though.

Seriously, do you have any ideas, please? We bought gift certificates to a music store last year - a huge brain hiccup on my part! - lots of kids don't have any way to play CDs or DVD's, unfortunately. And I'm seriously struggling for ideas as most teenage boys would be less than thrilled with gloves, socks or slippers (and egad, who could blame them! :thumbsup: ).
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:50 PM

most teenage boys would be less than thrilled with gloves, socks or slippers

The hats they wear nowadays looks like a pair of underwear on their head :thumbsup:
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:37 PM

Hmmm, so when shopping for teenage boys hats I simply ask for some that look like underwear? :thumbsup:

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:56 PM

That or pants that hang down past their behinds :thumbsup:
Fortunately, my sons in law(?) are past that. They're happy when I buy a part and fix their computer
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

puzzle books, crossword puzzles.. novels.. always good. Very nice post MaraM.. it is never too soon to think of Christmas, and those who need help.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:52 PM

Yes. Nice, thoughtful post as usual Mara.

Hope everyone gets behind you on this one. The food banks can ALWAYS use the extra help.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:52 AM

Hard to stuff that in a lovely little Christmas stocking, though.

Not if you have two stockings! :thumbsup:

As usual Mara, your heart is in the right place, thank you for reminding us that there are those less fortunate than us that could use some cheering up this time of the year.

Music CDs and DVD movies work as well. They can be purchased for a couple of dollars at thrift shops.

Edited by dc3, 30 October 2008 - 03:53 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:39 AM

It is truly no surprise to me that we have such lovely thoughtful people here at our Bleeping - and thanks for all the comments and great gift ideas! Really, really do appreciate it! Huge gentle hug!

#12 rangecoach

rangecoach

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Where I work, we participate in a program called "Adopt-A-Family". The local organizing group that I/we deal with is a church that is greatly involved in civic work. The workers, throughout the year, take note of the wants and wishes of the members of the families that they work with and then compile these lists, shorten them to 2-3 items per family member and send them to us. The familys' lists then get put into an envelope that we hang from the Christmas tree in our company cafeteria. For a one month period prior to Christmas, the different groups of the company will pick an envelope and the employees within that group will purchase or acquire donations so that all the items on the family's list are accounted for. One week before Christmas, our "Santa" will load up the packages and deliver them to the church which, in turn, delivers them to the family(s) on Christmas Eve.

Most of the items "wished" for (these wishes are taken verbatum from the kids) are things like a red bicycle, a Barbie doll, clothes, etc. The one that choked me up last year was the child that asked Santa for "a basketball. Used would be ok, as long as it bounced." Wow....

I strongly encourage everyone that can, to donate to local church organizations that provide these services to the community. I don't do it to get that warm, fuzzy feeling, instead, it makes me really appreciate what I am so blessed to have.

Edited by rangecoach, 01 November 2008 - 10:13 PM.

The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.

You are never defeated until you admit it. Gen. Patton

#13 JShust

JShust

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:48 PM

I love helping those in need, especially around Christmas. One of my favorite things to do is Toys for Tots. It is run by the US Marine Corps Reserve (I am active duty, but still volunteer for this program). I love playing Santa for needy children. It really makes my year.

#14 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:06 PM

It's great to read there are so many organizations, and the people within them, all willing to go the extra mile for those less fortunate than us - yipee!! Whether one picks a religious organization or another, even one small gift can make such a difference.

And reading that the US Marine Corps Reserve has a Toys for Tots program is truly lovely and yes, playing Santa really can be magical! (Here, along with the many other organizations, we have (believe it or not) 'Hell's Angels' that make a ride each year doing just that - collecting toys for children. Christmas seems to bring out the very best in so many - yup, it's my favourite holiday!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users