Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

syware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 04:57 AM

Howdy,

I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could help me out with.

A couple of months ago my computer was invaded by some sort of virus or worm. It wiped everything on my computer out. I had to re-install all my software. I have switched from dial-up to high speed with a modem.

I have the following protection set up.

Norton Anti Virus
Spybot
Ad Aware
Microsoft Anti Spyware

I am so nervous about another monster getting into my computer, that I run these programs twice daily.

Questions:

Is there any other type of protection I should have ?

I leave my computer running 24/7. Is that a bad idea ?

Thankyou for your time and help!

Dennis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 05:21 AM

Hi Dennis H and welcome to BC

You seem like you are set up fairly good. I would add a router to your computer and a trojan program like a-squared. A router is considered to be a hardware firewall and is more effective than a software one. However, the use of a software firewall at the same time will alert you to outgoing traffic that you may want to be aware of. SpywareBlaster adds another level of protection too.

I leave my computer on 24/7 and its not a problem for me.

You might want to download HiJack This and LSPfix also. Some malware that gets into your computer can prevent you from contacting the sites where you get these programs and then its too late.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:16 AM

Thanks for your help Leurgy.

I will look into your suggestions right away.

Dennis :thumbsup:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:24 PM

BY ALL MEANS have some kind of resident firewall installed, and think about purchasing a router as well. There are several very good FREE firewalls available.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Dennis H

Dennis H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:34 PM

Thanks for the info John.

I think my internet provider is supplying the firewall. I will check on it. Which firewall would you suggest ?

Thanks,
Dennis

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:55 PM

When I responded I assumed your Norton included a firewall or I would have mentioned that. Sorry.

What operating system are you using?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users