Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer fixed by PC World but still not working.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ferrylass

ferrylass

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:25 AM

Hi there,
Hope you can help. My computer a HP Pavillion desk top model running Windows XP home edition had been playing up for some time. It kept rebooting all the time, then eventually Windows wouldn't start at all. I would get the black Windows safety screen but I couldn't get it to boot up even in safe mode it would just crash. Eventually decided to try the Recovery discs but that didn't work either I got a blue screen saying the BIOS were corrupt.
Not being a computer genius I then took it to PC World who for 69.99 got the discs to work and restored my computer to its factory settings.
Great I thought :thumbsup: I can start from scratch again with a new uncluttered hard drive. I only reinstalled the bare essentials AVG antivirus, windows defender and then let it do all the windows updates. When I tried to start it up this morning it was back to its old tricks again, I managed to get it on for long enough to do some scans etc. and they all say my computer is clean, no viruses, no malware ( I downloaded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) I also ran PC Doctor which didn't show up any problems.
Don't know what to try next, I don't want to waste any more money. I am sending this from my laptop as I can't get windows to start at all now on the Pavillion.
Thanks for your time.
Kate

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:41 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

How far does the boot process go before it stops?

Are there any error messages? If so, can you post those verbatim as they appear onscreen?

Do the fans appear to work properly when you apply power to the computer?

Pavilion what model? What are the numbers for the system (should be in the front)?

Does your system time appear accurate?

Louis

#3 ferrylass

ferrylass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:48 AM

Thanks for your reply Louis.
Model is HP Pavilion t3510.
When I first switch on it gets as far as loading the desktop then starts to reboot. Second time round I start getting the black screen (we apologise for inconvenience etc.) will not start up in any of the options including safe mode. If I let it carry on by itself counting down to 0 it tries to boot again but there are green lines running down the opening HP screen and if it gets as far as the windows screen it has wrongly coloured pixels on it. It keeps trying to reboot sometimes it gets further into the process than others.
I am not getting any error messages or the one saying that it has recovered from serious error as I did before it was "repaired" by PC World.
One of the first things i did when it started to play up was to make sure that the fans were clean and running properly so I don't think that is the problem and in answer to your last questrion yes it is showing the correct time.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:47 AM

What happened when you tried the HP Recovery CDs?

Again, specifics, please.

Do you have a Microsoft XP CD or know where you can borrow one? Has to be same version of XP that you are licensed for by MS/HP.

How long did your system actually perform well after your taking it in for repair?

Louis

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

Hi kate.

and then let it do all the windows updates.

SP3 wasn't in that update was it?
If it was and you have an AMD processor, that's your problem and there is a fix for it here.
I looked on the HP website. There are multiple models of that system, depending on it's country of origin.
About half are AMD and the other half are Pentiums. Your location is not in your sig.

#6 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:18 PM

Be Sure To Unplug Computer From POWER SOURCES Before you Open The Cover
Did you add more Ram to your mother board
if you did are they matched modules
You can also reseat the ram
Remove cmos battery and reset the bios that way
But just remember to reset the time ine bios
After you put battery back in.

Edited by mme, 29 October 2008 - 12:19 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

Although it won't hurt to be certain, my guess it that this is the system in question, based on the quoted price of repair work in Post 1:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=reg_R1002_USEN

Louis

#8 ferrylass

ferrylass
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:24 AM

That link you found is correct Louis. My computer has an Intel Pentium D processor so I did not not think SP3 would be a problem.
I live in Scotland by the way.
I cannot remember exactly what happened when I tried to use the recovery discs it was about three weeks ago. It loaded the first screen and I chose R to start the recovery process then it appeared to start scanning through files there was one of these dotted white bars scrolling along the bottom of the screen and various file names being shown. It did this for about a minute and then I got a blue screen saying that the BIOS were corrupt. I'm afraid I didn't take a note of what the error message actually said. That was when I decided that I would just let the proffesionals deal with it.
I imagined that restoring the computer to its factory settings would have resolved any problems. Is this not always the case? If it has a virus will it still be there?
I managed to get it to load windows this morning and thought I would scan with some of this sites recommended antivirus/spyware.
Downloaded Spybot Search and Destroy which found a couple of tracking cookies but nothing serious then tried Panda Antivirus scan but it only managed to check 12% before computer rebooted again :thumbsup: .
It did say that there were 4 infected files though but what they are I don't know.
I did install more ram but it was a few years ago not long after I had bought the computer. Surely this could not be causing the problem now?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users