Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Big spyware / malware issues

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 NDWales

NDWales

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:02 AM

I am having big problems with my PC and think I may have been hit by spyware or a virus. When I boot up it is reporting that a number of applications are not running correctly (SKYPE, Google Desktop etc) and if I try to launch a browser it just flashes for a second and then nothing. This also happens in safe mode. I have seen some advice on forums to run spyware tools etc but I cannot get access to these due to the browser not starting.

Any ideas .. I really want to avoid rebuilding the PC if possible. I have McAfee installed on PC but this also will not start.

I have tried to run the Malwarebytes install but, firstly the PC would not let any copy / paste activity happen so I ran the install from CD and followed the prompts.

However I then got a message saying Run Time Error 372. Failed to load VbalGrid from Vbalsgrid6.ocx. The version of Vbalsgrid6.ocx may be outdated.

Any help is hugely appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

First I would try a new download of Malwarebytes, Then be sure to update it before using it
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 NDWales

NDWales
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:07 AM

Hi Mark, I tried this yesterday and had to burn the install file to CD to put on the 'infected' PC as I can't open a browser on that one. However the 'infected' PC would not let me copy the file from CD so I tried to run the install from there. That is when I got the runtime error listed above. So, in short, I have been unable to install the malwarebytes software on the PC

Nick

#4 muffinking

muffinking

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 10 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

I have the same problem im not quite sure how to fix it i've tried to run everything and it cant find it i cant open IE other programs dont install i cant run system restore at all, and it's taken away my active windows bar from my task bar and i dont know how to get that back so if anyone can help us that would be awesome :thumbsup:

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 01:48 PM

NDWales- Let me do some research and I will get back to you

Muffinking- Please start your own topic, with a brief description of your problem and what you have done so far to try a remedy it
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Download SDFix to disk and run in Safemode:
Maybe we can fix it enough to be able to download directly
-----------------------------------------

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • Please be patient as the scan may take up to 20 minutes to complete.
  • When the process is complete, the SDFix report log will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • The SDFix report log (Report.txt) will open in Notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to re-enable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.

Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users