Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Networking Functions after Virus/Malware Removal

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 alltrips

alltrips

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:02 AM

Hi

System: Toshiba 2450-101 Laptop P4 2.66 512ram 40G HDD
Win XP Home SP2 ( No OS CD, Only Toshiba Disks and this only has Ghost image, Have SP2 CD)

I came home from work to find that my son had infested my laptop with viruses and Malware. I ran Malwarebytes Anti malware and deleted all infections it found, however, when I clicked on 'Finish' it said some could not be deleted till the PC was rebooted would I like to reboot 'Yes/No'. I selected Yes.

when the PC rebooted I noticed that my taskbar had been changed, not the standard XP blue but white, also my wireless network box was not showing an IP address as it normally did. I thought maybe the Network connection needed to be repaired so I went to Control Panel and clicked on Network Connections and where I would normally see all the Icons all there was is a blank space.

I then clicked on 'Create a New Connection', the wizard started so I chose 'Set up a home or Small Office Network'. Nothing happens. So clicked on 'Network Troubleshooter', Again nothing happens.

I have also found other problems as follows:

When minimize a window it disappears (not on taskbar).
Cannot use Copy-Paste either on desktop or in folders.
Cannot use Drag-Drop either on desktop or in folders.
Cannot use "Search" from Start Menu, Folders or Right Click Menu.
Cannot open Help & Support in Start Menu or CP.
Cannot use "User Accounts" in CP (same as Network Connections - just blank space).
Cannot log into other user account using "Switch User" or "Logoff, have to reboot PC to see other Account.
Other Account password has been changed.

Have also tried to run Malwarebytes AM again to see if it would pick up any virus that may have re-activated but now got a Runtime Error 372

"Failed to Load Control 'VbalGrid' from vbalsgrid.ocx. Your version of vbalsgrid.ocx may be outdated. Make sure you are using the version of the control that was provided with your application".

Tried to re-install Malwarebytes and got the same error again when ran it.

Any Help would be most welcome as I have over-googled my eyes trying to find a solution and am now getting bruises on my forehead (HWS) :thumbsup:

TIA

Edited by Pandy, 29 October 2008 - 07:38 AM.
Moved from Win XP Home and Pro

Good PC Techs are those that say they know everything, GREAT PC Techs are those that know WHERE to Find Everything.
So for GREAT PC Techs come to http://www.bleepingcomputer.com

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

I believe I would post a HJT log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Can you get to Safemode with Networking?
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 alltrips

alltrips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:28 PM

I believe I would post a HJT log
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
Can you get to Safemode with Networking?

Hi Mark

Yes I can boot to 'Safe Mode with Networking' checked CP and exactly same as in Normal Mode, no Network Icons/Functions and no Internet Connection. Will follow HJT guide and post Log

Do I refer Log to this Post for problems ?

Thanks

Keith
Good PC Techs are those that say they know everything, GREAT PC Techs are those that know WHERE to Find Everything.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:50 PM

You can or just add a brief description
They're a little busy there, so be patient
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#5 alltrips

alltrips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:31 PM

Thanks Mark

I am halfway through the steps in pre HJT guide, there are a few things I cannot do which I will list when I post the HJT log, and will also post a final reply here.

Keith

#6 alltrips

alltrips
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:04 PM

All Fixed

BIG KUDOS to garmanma and farbar

Thanks

Keith

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:06 AM

Please wait until farbar gives you the 100% all clear
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users