Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Would Be A Good Freeware For

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 skycom

skycom

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 26 April 2004 - 03:28 PM

I been passing the word on this Forum with favorable feedback! Keep It Going!
Was curious if anyone is familiar with a Freeware Program that can do these duties for me. FROM A TEXT FILE I WISH TO HIGHLIGHT A WORD (like copy/paste method) and paste the word to a Personal DataBase that i could build by adding more keywords, then when i open a TEXT file and PRESS SEARCH or something to this effect, would point out the MATCH from my personal database. Seems simple really, but when i Google for this can't seem to find what i'm looking for. THANKS! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:20 PM

Hmm... This one is a tough one. There are no text editors that I know that allow you to do what you want. I have used a lot of text editors in my day and have found none that allow you to do a find based upon words found in a text file, let alone giving the ability to add those words to a text file.

Your best bet may be to create a web program that does this for you in php or perl. I am not sure if you know how to program, but if you do, the searching/highlighting part based on words in a list should not be too hard to do via php or perl.

Giving the ability to add words to a word list by right clicking will not be able to be done without some difficult coding. Now that I am thiking about it could be done, but it would be a little ugly. SHould still work though.

If you do know how to program let me know and I will give you some tips on how to get started with this.

#3 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:24 PM

Just my luck i would come up with something difficult to arrive at. I have some Programming skills but first want to see if anyone is run across what i'm looking for first, if not, suppose we can get started on the long road right? :thumbsup:

#4 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:33 PM

For Free try clicking here for Open Office. It is supposed to have just about everything you need. Whether it will tell you HOW to do what you are working on is a good question.

Closest I have been able to come is to build a macro in the first program which copies the word into the clipboard and then opens the database. Then build a second macro in the database which pastes the word from the clipboard into the Find Dialog Box and searches.

Tried using a seperate macro builder to bridge between the two programs but no joy so far.

Hope someone comes up with a better solution for both of us.

#5 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 26 April 2004 - 04:50 PM

I suppose what i'm getting at to narrow it down for everyone is this: In your WINDOWS notepad or wordpad theres the feature FIND, ok this is what assists in finding a SINGLE word or line, what i'm looking for is either a shell extension that is compatible with SE98 for this OR a simple application that can perform the EXACT same duties as this, only with an added feature of FINDING more than ONE word at a time. During a paragraph review i wish to somehow FIND within this paragraph ALL key words (Collection of Words To Match To)of my own choosing from a seperate database compiled over time and with such reduce time it would take to LOOK up MATCHING words one at a time. Thanks for the speed replies, i have heard a lot stir over OPEN OFFICE as an alternative to Microsofts Office Appl.

#6 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 07:29 PM

OK i think i found something for you. Goto http://www.ultraedit.com/products/features.html. This is a very powerful editor. It does not do exactly what you want but I think it can modified to do so.

It h as support for something called syntax highlighting. What that means is that if there is a certain word in the document it changes the color or does some other effect on that word. You can create a text file with all your words and use that text as the syntax highlighting file. Then when you open or paste text into it, any words from that word text file will be highlighted with the specified color.

The help for the program goes into extensive detail about how to create these files.

Hope this is good enough for you.

#7 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:29 PM

Swift feedback is appreciated, Thanks. Its no doubt crammed full of a multitude of features & HTML specialties which is nice. Still open to other ideas and/or applications out there laying across the network. Found a simpler utility, but unfortunately too simple and limited in scope. Drag & drop method was more eye candy then simpler approach of entering your own search words into a database and then somehow bring the one or the other into a simple comparison search similar to a web based search engine only utilizing your personal database as the entity to draw the match from. I do like your FIND from the net & may turn to it if nothing simpler becomes available. It does have a 45 day try out period, and if it works it will be a sale.

#8 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 08:30 PM

Let me know what else you find so I can check out.

#9 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 09:00 PM

Let me know what else you find so I can check out.

Not a prob. Been so busy the past months concentrating on everything computer which sometimes lends itself to things ending up simple and right under your nose.
Microsofts FIND context menu would be idea if they expand on it by allowing a user defined database for separate searches like i mention, and not limited to a word search or line limits. :thumbsup: Found another little tidbit but not sure its capabilities.
CALLED SEARCHGUN
and this one
RATHER DIFFERENT

#10 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 26 April 2004 - 10:10 PM

Another for low budgets but still not quite what looking for.
http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/iseek/
Let me know too what you or others can come up with. I,ve Googled my head off on this one, didnt know a simple procedure application would prove to be so elusive for such a simple purpose. Most everything is geared toward INTERNET ONLY word & phrase matching abilities or HTML compiling practices. Gee Whiz! Just need to make a simple little desktop database for word matches.

#11 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2004 - 02:53 PM

Pardon The Repeat posts but this is the last in this thread and no one apparently has a clue, so i researched this totally solo. Many nights & days of Google Searches proved futile. I checked this forum frequently for a reply with no results either, then............ Came upon this FREEWARE database application(7.5Mb!) completely by accident as you might guess
ELUSIVE FREEWARE DATABASE

MOTHER OF ALL DATABASE APPLICATIONS
Not for the faint of heart and will take time to Master no less. Sorry if my requests surpassed the abilities available here but when simple proves elusive, theres no alternative but to go for the GUSTO!!!! Long Live Good Luck!! :thumbsup:

Edited by skycom, 02 May 2004 - 02:55 PM.

#12 Guest_Plimsol_*

Guest_Plimsol_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:39 PM

Let us kjnow how it works out...curious to know if this program does what you are looking for it to do or if you have to heavily customize it

#13 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2004 - 03:55 PM

This gives a First Time user a CAUTION NOTE! Nice of the author of a Freeware program of this magnitude to do this, whichs tells you a lot of thought & effort went into the project. I THINK THIS IS THE ONE! Will let you know how things progress. By the way, You Hail! from the Russia Federation territories? Noticed the Flag. LoL.

Therefore, we do not recommend this program as a solution for an important project that now has you up against a deadline. Especially if you're not technically savvy and have never worked with a sophisticated database before. And we do not recommend LM for people unwilling to read the documentation, view the slide-show animations, and study the tutorials. Also, we suggest that you establish a second instance of the program on your machine to serve as a practice database. You'll learn faster, because you'll experiment more knowing that your main installation and its important data are safe from a beginner's mistakes. :thumbsup:

Edited by skycom, 02 May 2004 - 03:57 PM.

#14 Guest_Plimsol_*

Guest_Plimsol_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

By the way, You Hail! from the Russia Federation territories? Noticed the Flag. LoL.

Well I am from Russia originally though I live in the states. Still refer to myself as Russian though :thumbsup:

#15 skycom

skycom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:14 PM

WELL, by now then you have a pretty good handle on this way of life. If you ever run across a free TUTORIAL on the RUSSIAN LANGUAGE please feel free to pass it my way. Believe it or not, Russian is the only alternative language that ever interested me, and i can never get enough of training in both alphabet & basic pronunciation. I do use the freeware IM TRANSLATOR to make the interpretation readily available for reviews. At a very young age was taught LATIN but that faded away over time. Russian is the only language i can personally relate to when it comes to letters * speech * understanding *(The Alphabet) and clears my head to see Russian Words. No other language on earth can do this for me, so is my reason for wanting to learn it more, and to be able to communicate with good folks over there. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users