Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Moving Files Between Hard Drives Caused Corruption

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coupon

Coupon

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:16 AM

Hey all, im new here. Ill get right to the point:

I installed a different drive in my computer the other day as a primary drive. I use 2 drives, the old setup was a western digital 40 for the boot drive and a western digital 250 for a media/storage drive. Before switching out the WD 40 for an IBM 80 (that was replaced by the WD 250) I moved all my files onto the 250, opened up the computer, switched out the 40 for the 80, unplugged the 250, booted and installed Windows 2000 pro using the CD, then plugged in the 250 when i was all done. Then, i moved the files i had backed up onto the IBM 80GB (new boot drive). Now, I have found that many files that i transferred between the drives are corrupt. They include pictures, sound files, PDF documents, .txt files, videos and others. Not every file is corrupt, just most. Can anyone tell me what would have caused this?? Nothing is irreplaceable, it just makes me angry.

Another note: I can open the video and audio files in windows media player, but all it plays is audio that is several songs playing one after the other, and sometimes just silence (not the song or movie that it is supposed to be.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:01 AM

Hi Coupon and welcome to BC

Failing Ram can cause that problem. Try running MemTest - RAM reliability tester.

When I transfer files I always copy, rather than move to avoid a problem like yours. If the copy is bad, I still have the original. Also, when copying files between drives, its much better to have the drives on seperate cables.

Edited by Leurgy, 04 May 2005 - 06:02 AM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 Coupon

Coupon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:02 AM

Thanks for the reply, ill run that memtest and see what it says.

#4 Coupon

Coupon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:41 PM

I let memtest run overnight and it didnt find any problems. I guess this is a good lesson on how not to move lots of stuff from one drive to the other, and a reminder to always back up your stuff.

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 12:58 PM

Sorry for your luck Coupon. I always tell people when they are moving files from one drive to another to do it in small chunks rather than Gig's at a time. A power glitch or a brownout can destroy a lot of data that way.

Wish I could offer some other ideas. :thumbsup:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users