Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt JPEG

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Z0RrO

Z0RrO

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

Hi,
my hard drive failed 1 month ago and he corrupt a lost my JPEG. I have try many softwares but nothing change. Here are some picture that are corrupt and can you tell me how to fix it pls!!! I really need help on that one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thank you
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

Sorry, Mike, but I don't think there is any way to fix a corrupt JPEG. Once the file is damaged, there's no way to put the pieces back together. You can repair a program because you replace the broken parts, but you cannot replace the broken parts of an image file without a backup of the file.

#3 Z0RrO

Z0RrO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:23 AM

I know this is wierd, but i had some JPEGs that look like the one I sent in here, and when I ran the scandisk utility, some of them were repaired... And I have also notice that for the picture with the green spot on it, if I view it in Thumbnails, the picture is perfect ...!!!

Posted Image

Mike

#4 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:06 PM

The reason it looks OK in thumbs is because thumbs is sampling only a part of the data in the file. There is probably a single bit that's wrong somewhere in the file. If you had some way to go in there and change that tiny portion of the file, you might repair it. I have some tiny thing niggling in my memory about repairing jpg's from many years ago, but I think it's lost. However, a little research brought up a site that offers to repair jpeg's and save them as bitmaps.

repair site #1

Since I haven't tried this myself, I cannot say whether it is good or bad. If you decided ot try it, make sure to use a copy of your damaged jpeg file to test, so that you still have the copy and can use other programs or repairs with it.

#5 Z0RrO

Z0RrO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 03:37 PM

Thank for helping me, but the software you gave me does not solve my problem :thumbsup:

Mike

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 02:50 AM

Where are you getting these photos from if your hard drive failed?
Are you still using the faulty hard drive?
Have you tried doing a Scandisk(Error Check) in Safe Mode with "Automatic..." and "Scan for..." ticked, on the faulty drive? That may be able to repair your files.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#7 Z0RrO

Z0RrO
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

Hi,
When I formatted my C:, i moved all my zip file and all my pictures in my faulty hard drive (i did not at that time) .. Since i knew my hard drive was faulty .. all my zip file and jpeg was corrupted ... I dont care about my zip files .. but for my pictures .... i do ... I am not using my faultly hard drive anymore ... I get a new one instead. I will try to run a Scandisk in safe mode with all the option you pointed to me. I will post again later ..

Thank

Mike

#8 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:33 PM

I don't think that will help if it's not the original hard drive. Your going to have to look for a software repair. Sorry I cannot help. :thumbsup:

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users