Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatted Computer, Ethernet Controller out

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 PTU07

PTU07

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:50 PM

We got my computer from Totally Awesome Computers in 2002, I am not sure of the make or model of my computer. I recently reformatted it and need to know how to find and install the ethernet drivers again. Cannot find the original disk, and I did not originally set the computer up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:54 PM

Try looking in Device Manager to see if there's any unknown/unidentified devices there. If you find any, right click on them and select Properties, then click on the Details tab, then on Hardware ID in the dropdown box. It should be in this format "PCI\VEN_4444&DEV_0016&SUBSYS_40090070&REV_01" Post back what you find.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:15 PM

I have tried even uninstalling and rebooting, this did not work. In the Device manager under other devices 'Ethernet Controller' comes up with a yellow question mark in bold next to it with a bubble showing an exclamation. I right click and under Gen. Info. it says - Device type: Other devices, Manufacturer: unknown, and then loaction: PCI bus 0, device 4, function 0.

Everything throughout is listed as "Unknown", "Not Available" or "Not Digitally Signed".

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,216 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:35 PM

Follow the sequence given by Budapest and you'll find the device ID string like his example.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:36 PM

Is a Hardware ID listed?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:45 PM

No. There is nothing about Hardware ID. Wasnt a tab or anything.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

Look under the Details tab.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:52 PM

The only tabs are General, Driver and Resources.

#9 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:53 PM

There are buttons under Driver that say Driver Details, Update Driver, Roll Back Driver and Uninstall. Under driver details it says "No driver files are required or have been loaded for this device".

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

See if SIW gives you any more information.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:12 PM

I am accessing these forums using my laptop, my PC is the one I just reformatted and what is having issues. It cannot connect to the internet, so I wouldnt be able to use anything like that.

#12 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

Make and Model of Computer And if possible Make of motherboard.......... Model of motherboard

Edited by mme, 28 October 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#13 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:15 PM

Nevermind, I misunderstood what SIW was all together. I am looking it over but am not quite sure what I should be looking for. I have been trying to fix this for three days and have boiled it down to this one issue - of which I have no clue how to resolve obviously.

#14 PTU07

PTU07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:16 PM

Make and Model of Computer And if possible Make of motherboard.......... Model of motherboard

As I said in the first post - I am unsure of make and model as the computer came from Totally Awesome (they build the computers one is to purchase with varying parts).

#15 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Motherboard model numbers can be found on motherboard...somtimes it may show between the RAM slot channels.
Download EVEREST its a great program for your computer ....then open summary and post the results

http://filehippo.com/download_everest_home/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users