Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Real player vs Windows Media player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Steamy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:25 PM

Hi Guys, new guy here, ex-train dispatcher learning how to play with a computer. I tried to download videos using Youtube' site with Windows Media player but it goes automatically to Real player. Is there a way to download with Windows Media, and if not, how to change the videos from Real Player to Windows media once downloaded. Thanks in advance. I know a 7 year old grand-daughter who will appreciate your help very much. Steamy.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Welcome to BC
I'll move you to the correct forum where someone can help you
good luck
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:40 AM

The answer is no. Windows Media Player does not download videos. But when you use Real Player to download videos, it downloads it in Flash and you can move it to your hard drive and use any player you like. I recommend VLC because it's so versatile.

And you don't necessarily need to use Real Player if you're downloading from Youtube and other viral video sites. There are several downloader websites. I like Flash Video Resources because it's easy to use. Check it out at this link.

#4 DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:10 PM

Personally, I really don't like Real, I never got it to work right and it kept nagging me. I use aTube Catcher to download movies from Youtube and other flash video sites, I then use VLC to play them. I like aTube because it is simple, and doesn't install a lot of garbage on my system like Real can.

#5 12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:54 AM

Hi Guys, new guy here, ex-train dispatcher

Hi Steamy, welcome, ex RR maintance worker here. I know how much you love us. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users