Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP won't launch after Google Chrome/Shockwave crash

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 spritesuzi

spritesuzi

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:32 PM

XP Home Edition SP3, Centrino 1.73GHz, 512RAM, 80G OEM (Toshiba)HDD with 40+
free on a Sony Viao VGN-FS740/W laptop.

I was onto Google Chrome as soon as they released the beta, because IE crashed constantly and partner hated Firefox. I had a few problems, but nothing major. Then the Shockwave crashes started. At first, it was a minor issue. The video would freeze, the error message would appear, so I'd tell it to close, but then I could immediately reopen and view the video. Frustrating, but minor.

Four days ago, Shockwave crashed (while viewing jacksonbrowne.com.) The error message appeared, but clicking on close did not work. I could not close the page. I could not close Chrome. I could not activate ctrl/alt/delete. I could not access the Start button. All that was left was a hard shutdown with the power switch.

Now it got really weird. I can not launch XP. It seems fairly normal, if maybe a little slow, but hangs on the Welcome page for much too long. Finally the wallpaper opens, and then it freezes. No icons, no taskbar (so no Start button), just wallpaper and a cursor (that does move.) Ctrl/alt/delete still doesn't work. All I can do is press and hold the power switch to shut it off.

In Safe Mode with Networking, logged on as Administrator, I've gone to Last Good Config - no help. System Restore - no help. Uninstall Chrome - no help. I've run Norton Security Scan and Bitdefender Online Scan - both say my system is clean. (My Norton 360 won't run in Safe Mode.) I've run Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - it reported no issues. I ran CCleaner to clean up the registry. All of those I had to download to install and run - no issues.

I got "System Administrator has set policies to prevent this installation" when I tried to install AdAware 2008 and TuneUp Utilities 2008 7.0.8007. The suggested cure for that (found online...) uses "your XP CD." I don't have one - the laptop came with a recovery partition, no CDs included. I can't access it except by activating the Viao recovery process. I'm not ready/frustrated enough yet to reset the entire system to "factory fresh" image!

The Event Log does show a "bad block" on the HDD, but running Windows chkdsk on the disk shows that it's fine. (That's why I wanted to install TuneUp - to doublecheck that...)

Any ideas out there?
Thanks,
Suzi

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spritesuzi

spritesuzi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

I gave up and rebuilt the system last night. I won't re-install Chrome until they straighten out some of those bugs!
Thanks,
Suzi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users