Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

explorer.exe error message -- tried everything!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cyrella

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:04:34 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

I'm running on the Windows 2000 operating system.
Everything loads -- boots normally. It logs itself in [normal] and the icons load, start menu, etc. But then, this message pops up:

explorer.exe has generated problems and needs to be shut down. [not sure if it's verbatim, but close enough.]

My brother [it's his computer] said that it also comes up with a Dr Watson error message. It hasn't done that for me yet. I googled it, and I found [on the Microsoft Troubleshooting website] 3 methods, that I tried... they didn't work. CleanSweep was [apparently] never on the computer, and if it was, it's not in the uninstall programs thing. The website said that that's what had caused the error message.

I also tried restoring, deleted some programs he downloaded, all to no avail. I can't access the control panel, which I was trying to do in the first place, so that I could restore it to an earlier date. [Opened Task Manager, File > New Task, typed in "control".] When I try, it comes up with an error message that [basically] says that "rundll" is unable to load.

I'm thinking that it might be a virus that's disguised as the common "CleanSweep" error. Maybe I'm wrong. If it is CleanSweep, how do I get rid of it if it's not in the Add/Remove Programs thing? If it's a virus, has anyone ever had it and fixed it, and can you help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 11:43 AM

not sure if it's verbatim, but close enough.

Verbatim would be nice. It does make a difference

Cleansweep is a registry cleaner from Uniblue
Clean Sweep is a uninstall cleanup utility from Norton
how to read a dr watson logfile

Edited by garmanma, 29 October 2008 - 05:08 PM.

Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users