Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Does One Give Up on Outlook?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

I have Outlook 2002 running on Windows XP. I've always like Outlook. Then it started to act up once in a while. Now it is acting up all the time. What do I mean by acting up? Crashing basically. It won't start at all. So I reinstall. Is there a way to wipe if away and start fresh? Can I do this without losing data? Is there a better program that I could switch to? If so, could I convert my data? I have a lot of emails stored in Outlook.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

Hal06,

It has been a couple of days since you have posted. I am not an expert on Outlook 2002 but I will mention a common problem I have had running Outlook that has caused similar problems for me so I will try to help. The database file used to store messages and folders can become corrupted easily. Events such as a system crash while your machine is writing to the database file can do this. It is very important to maintain current backups of the database file(s). The database file on this version of Outlook also has a maximum size of 2GB. Users have reported problems before the file has reached 2GB. If you have been making backups of the database file you can restore the backup. There is also a method to repair a corrupted database file.

How to manage .pst files in Outlook 2007, in Outlook 2003, and in Outlook 2002
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/287070

Repair an .ost or .pst file in Outlook
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA010563001033.aspx

There are many good alternatives to Outlook. I personally prefer to run Office 2007 with Outlook as I am so familiar with these products and they have worked very well for me.

If this does not help post again with details on exactly what happened when you were trying to do what. Do include all details on your machine specifics.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users