Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Photosuite on a Flash Drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 tonytv

tonytv

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Is there any way to move a graphics program on a Flash Drive? I do alot of travelling, and many times I shoot images. I'd like to pop into an internet cafe and email or upload them. But I'd like to re-size them first. Many internet cafes don't have any graphics programs, which is why I want to have one on my flash drive.

I got Roxio Photosuite (on CD), but whenever I download, it automatically downloads to the harddrive. I cannot instruct it to download on the Flash Drive.

Any ideas, or a different (and hopefully free) program I can use on my Flash Drive?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

You can load Irfanview on a flash drive.
It's Free. :thumbsup:

This is from the FAQ's page:

Q: Is there a portable IrfanView version (for USB sticks, CDs etc.)?
A: Yes, EVERY IrfanView version is portable. You can:
1. Copy your existing/installed IrfanView folder to USB stick (recommended), or
2. Use the normal installer and install IrfanView to an USB stick folder, or
3. Use the ZIP version and unzip to an USB stick folder.

You'll be able to do a lot more than, re-size your images. :flowers:
Also if you're re-sizing your images to decrease file size, for E-mailing, you'll also have the option of slightly reducing the image quality.
The will reduce the file size considerably more, than re-sizing, with barely noticeable quality lose (depending on the level of quality reduction).
There's a how-to tutorial, here:
Reducing An Image's File Size By Reducing It's Image Quality Using Irfanview
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 tonytv

tonytv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

Terrific! Thanks so much for the tip tg1911!

#4 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:38 PM

Hi tg1911,

How large should the stick be?? (Cann't find that info on IV's site)

Thanks in advance!!

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

You're quite welcome, tonytv.
Glad to help.

Falu,
Can't say for sure, but Irfanview installed, as shown in my Program Files, is listed at 8.55 MB, and that's with all of the plug-ins, installed.

Edited by tg1911, 31 October 2008 - 09:07 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#6 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:58 AM

Hi tg1911,

Checking my list of programs I saw it was 1,6 Mb but wasn't sure about the plug-ins, since they're not listed separately.

From your info I understand I've to check for some plug-ins. :thumbsup:

Thanks.

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

You're welcome, Falu.
On the Plug-in page, I installed the first option (1. You can download ALL PlugIns as one large EXE (recommended)), which includes all plug-ins.

Edited by tg1911, 01 November 2008 - 11:00 AM.

#8 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Thanks tg1911,

Have done so and decided to:

- concentrate on Irfanview for at least the coming year in this respect;
- donate to Irfan so he/she will continue to work on the program.

In short: thanks!! :thumbsup:

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:46 PM

You're quite welcome, Falu.
There are several Irfanview tuts in the Mini guides and how-tos - Simple answers to common questions forum, in the Images, Image Editing, Image Viewing Mini-Guides sub-forum.
Irfanview is the first image editing program I ever used, and never found a need to try anything else.
Does all I want, and then some. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users