Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Timeout error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 radovitch

radovitch

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:07 PM

I have a LAN consisting of 3 computers, two pc's and a laptop and my router/modum has DHCP enabled. This morning when I turned on the laptop (wired connection) I found I had no network connection to speak of. Both Firefox and IE Explorer return Network Timeout error messages stating that the server was taking too long to respond. It isn't just the Browsers because my anti-virus and anti spyware programs are also unable to update for the same reason. The scans turn up nothing suspicious. Both of the other computers have no internet problems and I have not made any changes on this laptop in several days. I tried temporarily disabling the ZoneAlarm Suite but this had no effect.
Never having had this kind of problem before I'm totally in the dark here.
Have XPPro with SP3.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 12:23 PM

Hello, Radovitch. I can't really say what's going on but this happens to me sometimes as well, we have 4 wireless laptops and then 1 wired PC.

Usually all you have to do is this:

1. Turn off the router and modem (some are built together in one unit).
2. Turn off your wireless/network connection or disable it.
3. Wait about 10 seconds, and then start up only the modem and router.
4. Once the modem and router are fully powered up and ready, then turn your wireless back on.
5. (For laptop) Look at your wireless icon down in your system tray (toolbar bottom right hand side). Right-click on your wireless connection and click "Repair". This should only take a few seconds, and then a pop-up window will inform you whether or not your are connected to the internet.
5. (For PC) Look at your network icon down in your system tray (toolbar bottom right hand side). Right-click on your Network connection and click "Repair". This should only take a few seconds, and then a pop-up window will inform you whether or not your are connected to the internet.

If it connects to the internet then your good to go, if it doesn't connect or has an error please let me know, and give me any specific details you notice as well.

Edited by Aanders5, 29 October 2008 - 12:28 PM.

#3 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:14 PM

Thanks for your reply but I think you misread my message. When I said the labtop has a wired connection I meant a network cable as I'm not using a wireless router. I have tried turning the router/modem off and on but to no effect.
Sorry for the confusion.

#4 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

Thanks for your reply but I think you misread my message. When I said the labtop has a wired connection I meant a network cable as I'm not using a wireless router. I have tried turning the router/modem off and on but to no effect.
Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry about that Radovitch.

Yes, that would be this step.
5. (For PC) Look at your network icon down in your system tray (toolbar bottom right hand side). Right-click on your Network connection and click "Repair". This should only take a few seconds, and then a pop-up window will inform you whether or not your are connected to the internet.

Posted Image
network connection icon

Upon turning your router off then on, did you trying repairing your connection by right-clicking on your network icon?

Or,
Unplug the network cable from your computer,
Turn the modem and router off then back on.
Then re-plug in your network cable to your computer. Does anything new happen, or do you get the same results as the process I previously stated.

side question: Are you using another computer to get online right now? Please tell me which computers are offline and what they hooked up to, and what you are currently using, and where that is hooked up to.

Once again sorry about that, we can and will help you fix this Radovitch. :thumbsup:

#5 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:33 PM

Thanks again but this whole thing just took another turn. I was tinkering around with my ZoneAlarm Security Suite settings because something told me that as the internet connections on both of my other computers were fine, the fault had to be somewhere on the laptop. I don't know how familiar you are with ZoneAlarm but the firewall has two sets of controls, one for the Internet Zone Security and one for the Trusted Zone Security. They each have three settings, Off, Medium and High. The Trusted Zone setting defaults at medium and the Internet Zone's default setting is High which is stealth mode. Well, I discovered that by lowering the Internet Zone setting to medium I had Internet again. But this is not a secure setting and I need to get back to High as soon as possible. Normally I would suspect a virus but as I said nothing shows up on any of my scans.
As this now appears to be a firewall problem do I need to move this question to another forum?

#6 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:24 PM

Right here is fine. I'll do some quick research for you and try to figure this out in a jiffy. :thumbsup:

#7 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:44 AM

Hmmm, okay. From what I've read, Zonealarm is mainly used for high level threats so it can get really sensitive, and when its set on "high", it will probably disable your internet access as a "security measure". When you download ZoneAlarm it comes defaulted to medium-security (which is safe), and you should generally keep it in the "medium" mode. You only put high on if you think you have a virus, which then will cut off your internet access so that no further damage can be done.

So basically;
Medium is your standard security used for your computer and browsing the web
High pretty much cuts off your internet access put your computer on a red alert status.

I'd keep your computer on the default settings/"medium", and you should be good to go.

*If you ever think that you have a virus or malware on your computer, you can post an HJT log and have the BC staff analyze it for. Then they will give you step-by-step instructions on how to clean your computer. However, due to the small number of staff "analyzers", and the large amount of HJT reports received it may take a few days for a reply so please bare with them as they make their way to your report. I also suggest that you subscribe to your HTJ report thread, so that you don't lose it. :thumbsup:

---For HJT---
- Download the HJT (HiJack This) program from here: Download HiJack This
- For instructions on how to use HJT, please refer to this guide: HJT Guide
- Once you have scanned your computer and received a HTJ log, please post here for the BC staff to analyze for you: HiJack This forum

Edited by Aanders5, 30 October 2008 - 11:46 AM.

#8 radovitch

radovitch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:42 PM

After I sent you my last reply I started googling this problem from the ZoneAlarm angle and eventually wound up on their forum site. It appears that this is not an unnkown issue and can have several causes which I am now in the process of running down. The thing is I have always had the ZoneAlarm Internet setting on all my computers in the stealth mode especially since the program itself recommends it and even warns you when you step it down to Medium.
I agree with you about HijackThis and have found it one of the most valuable tools in spotting potential problems.

In conclusion I'd just like to say that I really appreciated the time and effort you spent helping me with this.

#9 Aanders5

Aanders5

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 01:21 PM

No problem, that's why we are here. :thumbsup:

-Aanders5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users