Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPod Songs To Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Help Me 101

Help Me 101

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:35 PM

I have reformatted my hard drive so all my files are gone. I have an iPod and all my songs are in it but I don't know how to transfer all the songs from my iPod to the computer.

I have tried looking at the hidden files on the iPod but I have thousands of songs and all the files have been renamed so it will take ages to rename all of it one by one.

So does any of you guys know any software that will let me transfer all the songs for free?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

Try iDump. It's a free, easy-to-use software. Worked really well for me when I had a similar situation. It keeps the song names and all of the data intact, too. :thumbsup:

http://www.download.com/iDump/3000-2169_4-10407429.html

#3 Help Me 101

Help Me 101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:29 PM

^Thanks. BTW, do you know if I put all the songs back to iTunes and plug my iPod off, will it change all the songs since the file is located in a different place?

#4 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:05 PM

Change the songs in what way? You mean as far as syncing iPod to iTunes goes? I am nearly 100% certain it should operate just as before, because technically, there will really be no difference between the iTunes library you had before and this one. If you want to store the actual songs in iTunes itself, rather than having an auxiliary folder store them, put a checkmark next to this option: Edit ----> Preferences -----> Advanced ----->Copy Files to iTunes Music Folder When Adding to Library."
It'll help things keep things tidy, and if you accidentally delete the folders that the music is in, you won't be totally out of luck. :thumbsup:

#5 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

I think my question is related to this topic. How do I transfer my iTunes purchases from my old computer to my new computer?

#6 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:12 PM

(1) Install iTunes on your new computer.
(2) Authorize the new computer by clicking on the iTunes menu: Store----->Authorize Computer It will prompt you to sign in to iTunes. Sign in as normal.
(3) Plug in your iPod.
(4) On the left hand side menu, right-click (or control-click, if you have a mac) on your iPod's menu. Select the option, "Transfer Purchases."
(5) Alternatively, you can select from the iTunes menu: File----->Transfer Purchases From iPod.
(6) This should copy your purchases into iTunes.

If you want to copy all of your music into iTunes, either use iDump, or use your iPod to do it using Apple's method. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329

Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Edited by gforce422, 02 November 2008 - 03:15 PM.

#7 noviceny

noviceny

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 05:59 PM

It worked! Thank you so much, gforce422.

#8 gforce422

gforce422

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:22 PM

No problem! Enjoy your music. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users