Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Core and Trace download updates for SAS

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 gotaro

gotaro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:20 PM

I have SuperAntiSpyware 4.21.1004 Free Edition for quite some time
I had Core 3609 and Trace 1595 and did a download of updates. For the second time, after the download, the Core remained 3609 and the Trace updated to 1597.
I clicked on "Check for Updates" again and then it downloaded the Core update to 3611.
Why aren't both of them downloading at the same time, as they did in the past?
Same thing has happened on my notebook.
Has this happened to anyone else? Should I uninstall SAS as it doesn't seem to be working as it did in the past? (I uninstalled and reinstalled (on both my desktop and notebook) and same thing happens regarding Core and Trace updates downloading seperately.)
Should I just give up on SAS and remove it completely and install another anti-spyware protector? (If I had to give up on SAS, what would be a good FREE replacement?)

Alice

The only 2 things that have changed on the desktop and notebook is that I installed IE7 a few weeks ago, but don't know if that could be causing the problem.
I have WinXP and also recently instaled SP3.
NAV; SpywareBlaster; and while they still are active = AVG AntiSpyware 7.5 and AdAware SE.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

The "core" and "trace" files are separate things. As for a free alternative, I would recommend either

Malwarebytes Anti-malware

Or

Spybot Search and Destroy

Spybot includes many extra features such as a hosts file, bad download blocker, TeaTimer (notifies you of registry changes), automatically blocks the running of malicious software.

You could also have both Anti-spyware programs don't really interfere with each other like Anti-virus programs do. As for SAS, that is another great program. In the end its your choice.

BE SURE TO UPDATE ALL SECURITY PROGRAMS REGULARLY!!! I cannot stress that enough.

Edited by xblindx, 28 October 2008 - 05:30 PM.

#3 gotaro

gotaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Thanks.
I know that the SAS "Trace" and "Core" items were seperate, but they always downloaded together when I clicked on the "Check for Updates."
Now when I check, I only get the "Trace" updates; then I have to click again to get the "Core" updates.

Re the S&D, do you know if it will work with NIS? I heasrd about some compatibility problems with Norton.

#4 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:00 AM

It should work fine. However, there are some complaints of compatibility issues. I am not 100% sure however, because I do not have NIS. Well, actually, I have NIS 2005 (I dont really use it) and it seems to work fine while they are both running. You should be OK.

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:20 PM

yes it works fine (With NIS 2009)

#6 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 04:36 PM

gotaro,

When I update SAS there is a lag between the two updates - it can sit there for a while or go quickly sometimes, but it eventually updates both. I'm using free version of SAS 4,21,1004 What happens if you click check updates and just wait - do they both eventually update?

tork

#7 AliceZ

AliceZ

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

It goes through all the 'motions,' when I first click on the "Check for Updates." (I do wait a while after the downloads.) However, when it shows the results (info) for the downloaded updates, only the Trace number has changed. If I click on the "Check for Updates" again, it goes through the download again and then I see that the download result (info) shows the correct updated Core number.

I'm surprised someone else does not (or did not) see similar 'problem.'

Alice

(NIS 2005; SpywareBlaster; SuperAntiSpyware, AdAware SE and AVG-Spam 7.5 (while they last), WinXPsp3 and IE7.
Perhaps one of these is not compatible.)

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 09:05 AM

QUESTION!

.....what is NIS 2005???? An antivirus program or something else completely????

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Norton Internet Security.

#10 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 09 November 2008 - 02:49 AM

Norton Antivirus and Internet Security 2009 products dont conflict with SAS,MBAM,NAB,TMIS,AVIRA,AVG...Feel free to use them each other...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users