Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comp will not boot to POST

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 playboidee

playboidee

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:02 PM

Sorry this might seem like another topic thats been covered, but after all my reading other posts, they seem to lean towards another solution that I'm not sure applies to my situation.

I've had my custom computer that I built for ~4yrs. Always worked fine. But now got some problems.

Around 1 month ago, I noticed my comp would restart it self for no reason. I would say it happned once a week, so didnt really bother me. Well a week ago, I cleaned and reseated all components and installed a 2nd DVD ROM drive. Computer worked normal until 2 days ago. I woke up that morning and my computer was running but nothing was on the screen. Tried moving my mouse and pressing keys thinking it went to sleep, but no response. So I restarted the computer and now the POST screen will not even load. My fans are running (CPU FAN, POWER SUPPLY FAN). But I get no video of any kind.

My Comp :

Intel D915GAV (has onboard video)
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ (Or maybe 3.8GHZ Not to sure.)
350W Power Supply
2 SATA HDs (80GB, 400GB)
1 PATA HD (120GB)
1 DVD RW Drive (Samsung)
1 DVD ROW Drive (Samsung)
2 DDR RAM's x 512MB (Kingston and Corsair)
1 Video Card (GeForce I think)

So these are the things I've checked :

1. Switched to the onboard video. (Thinking maybe the video card went bad) Still no POST screen.
2. Unplugged some/all components. (Thinking maybe my Power Supply overloaded). Still no POST screen.
3. Reseated RAM and switched with another. Still no POST screen.
4. Reseated CPU and CPU Fan/Heatsink. Still no POST screen.
5. I hear no beeps from the onboard speaker indicating possible problems.
6. Installed new thermal compound and removed the CMOS battery for 30min Still no POST screen.

Questions :

1. Could this problem happen due to insufficient thermal compound between the CPU and CPU Heatsink?
2. Could this problem be that my Power Supply is bad. (Maybe working at a low voltage?)

I really hope that my CPU or Motherboard didnt "die".

Any help/suggestions is appreciated.

Edited by playboidee, 29 October 2008 - 01:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:08 PM

You said that this all happened after you installed an additional DV drive. It could very well be that your power supply does not have the amps necessary to power everything. So, in order to give it enough amps, the voltage gets lowered, which then affects the computer just like yours is being.

What happens if you remove the power and data from the new DVD? Does it start to work again?

The power supply is probably not big enough. You need to consider that many companies over-rate their power supplies. It's not 'false' info but just different ways to caculate.

If the computer is important to you, get a good power supply, 400-500 watts.

Good luck.

DR

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:08 PM

FWIW:

Power Supply Troubleshooting - http://www.informit.com/articles/article.a...5&seqNum=12

Video Cards and the Symptoms of a weak power supply - Yahoo! Answers - http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...18160249AAqUXUv

Louis

#4 playboidee

playboidee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:42 PM

To rigacci:

The problem didnt happen EXACTLY after I installed the new DVD ROW drive. I even only hooked up just the primary HD by itself and still didnt get a POST screen or MB beeps.

To hamluis:

Thanks for the links. I think that might explain my random restarts.

I got a hold of a working PSU unit that I am going to try when I get home from work. If that doesnt fix the problem, then off to the store to buy a new CPU/MB.

#5 playboidee

playboidee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2009 - 09:17 PM

Well I figured out that one of my memory sticks was bad. Replaced and it works fine now.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 08:12 AM

Nice troubleshooting, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#7 playboidee

playboidee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2009 - 12:12 PM

Nice troubleshooting, happy computing :flowers:.

Louis

Ya but now I got another problem! :thumbsup:

But I will make a new thread about it when I get home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users