Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seemingly random freezing.

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 derrikc

derrikc

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

I have been having a strange problem with my computer freezing randomly for a long time now. When I say freezing, I mean everything locks up. The display does nothing, the mouse cursor does not move, the LCD on my keyboard stops, including the seconds on the clock. It completely freezes. By random, I mean I can not, for the life of me, see any pattern at all. The computer could be idle with nothing but background stuff running and it will still freeze. In fact, it seems to favor freezing when I am not using it... that is the only pattern I have noticed. I have been pulling my hair out seemingly forever. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Details:
Windows XP Professional SP2
Asus A8N-SLI nForce4
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
1.5GB PC3200 DDR 2.5-4-4-7
BFG nVidia Geforce 9800 GTX 512MB PCI-E
BFG 650 Watt PSU +3.3=26a, +5=28a, +12(dual)=20a
3x Internal Western Digital HDDs (250gb, 320gb, 1tb) SATA
2x External Western Digital HDDs )320gb, 500gb) USB 2.0 SATA
Sony DRU-500A (DVD burner/reader/etc) IDE
ATI TV-Wonder VE PCI (TV Tuner)
Rosewill Via VT6421 SATA Controller PCI
Nexus 4-way Fan Controller
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard USB
Logitech MX1000 Bluetooth
Logitech Bluetooth 2.0 EDR Reciever USB
Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX USB
SanDisk SD Card Reader USB
Dell Photo Printer 720 USB

If any other information is required, let me know. I can post a HJT log if needed. Oh, and I recied a 0x0000008E stop error recently, but only once.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:11 PM

Check for overheating?

Louis

#3 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:52 PM

Yeah. Forgot to mention that. CPU is 39c, MB is 33, HDDs, 30 - 45 - According to SpeedFan, and my GPU is 60, according to ATITool. Speedfan also says that LM75 is 60c. I don't know what LM75 is.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

Any recent hardware/driver changes that approximate the onset of problems?

If not, I think I would run Memtest on the RAM...just to eliminate it.

MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic - http://www.memtest86.com/

I'd also take a look at Event Viewer and see what kinds of errors are popping up there.

Louis

#5 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:39 PM

Nope, not that I can think of. Started out of nowhere.
I just ran MemTest86+ for 2 passes and no errors were found. I have checked the event log and it never seems to say anything near the freeze. It makes no sense to me.

EDIT: If you want to know the errors anyway, there are only DCOM errors. Like this:

DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service StiSvc with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A1F4E726-8CF1-11D1-BF92-0060081ED811}

I doubt it's related.

Edited by derrikc, 28 October 2008 - 10:39 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:08 AM

FWIW: http://74.125.45.104/search?q=cache:DGv6Uk...;cd=2&gl=us

Sorry, but I don't have any flashes of insight into what it could be :thumbsup:.

Maybe some of the other forum visitors/members have ideas...

Louis

#7 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 03:45 PM

Okay, well thank you anyway. I actually just found that the power supply wire for one of my external hdds is chewed up. I have no idea how or why, but I disconnected it. Maybe something was screwy with that drive as a result.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:00 PM

LOL, well...I'm pretty sure that hinders the chances of successful operations.

Let us know if changing that...amends your situation.

Louis

#9 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:27 PM

Actually I unplugged it, went to play Fallout 3 in the other room, and came back to a frozen computer. I tried to run SpinRite on all of my drives and it refuses to run on one of them, if that is any kind of clue.

I might try disconnecting one piece of hardware at a time to see if I can get it to stop freezing. Oh and I have an absurd amount of unused devices listed in the Device Manager.

Edited by derrikc, 29 October 2008 - 06:31 PM.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:34 PM

I've heard of SpinRite...but have you ran a diagnostic (downloadable from the website of the HD manufacturer) on any drive which shows up in Event Viewer with errors?

Same drill for the boot drive.

Louis

Edit: I just visited the Spinrite website. If there's ever anything I consider the Kiss of Death relative to me buying a product...it's one of those "endorsements" by some moron at some place that means nothing but "we want advertising dollars."

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2008 - 08:29 AM.

#11 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 06:52 PM

I ran Western Digital's diagnostic program on all of my drives with no problems. This was in Windows though. As for SpinRite, I actually heard about it in PCWorld. Supposedly it is actually used by some companies to refurbish hard drives. I don't know, I just have a hunch that it's a hard drive issue as chkdsk has found problems in the past... but it doesn't seem to be the case. Should I try running the DOS version of the diagnostics utility?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,572 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

Just to clarify...all your hard drives are WDs?

I would always run the diagnostic on floppy, never from within Windows (when possible).

Louis

#13 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:06 PM

Yeah, every one is WD. I'll run the diagnostics utility from the Ultimate Boot CD. (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/)

#14 derrikc

derrikc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:28 PM

Okay, I ran WD DLG 5.xx (forgot which exactly... it's on UBCD) and it found no errors on the internal drives and I couldn't check the externals, though I previously checked them with the Windows based utility. Interestingly though, the computer did not freeze at all while in the WD utility, so I am thinking it is a Windows based problem... unless it's simply a matter of less utilized hardware.

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

If it don't happen outside of Windows - but it does happen inside of Windows - then something in Windows must be the problem.

I'd leave Task Manager open to the Processes tab and wait for it to freeze. See what image name is taking up the most CPU or Memory. You can also enable I/O Reads (to see hard disk reads) by going to View...Select columns and selecting it.

If it doesn't show any untoward activity - then SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and a repair install are the most likely next steps.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users