Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot repair IP address

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wishmd

wishmd

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

I recently had some extensive problems caused by a virus. I got most of it resolved, primarily by resetting and starting the applicable services. But two problems remain:
1) I have no connectivity to the Internet (DSL), and when I try to repair the IP address I get the error message "Windows could not finish reapiring the problem...". It pings fine, no problem there. I have SP3 installed. Everything works fine except this.
2) I am sending this message via my laptop, which is working fine, with one exception. It is set up in a network with the toher computer (desktop) and shares the printer.

But it won't print. The message is that the print spooler is not started. When I check the Print Spooler on Services, it shows it as being on "automatic" and started, on both the laptop and the desktop. I can't check on the shared name, for the same reason.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:41 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Did you try setting up the printer again as a shared device?

http://www.home-network-help.com/share-printer.html

Rather than attempt to repair network problems, I find that just setting up the connection anew (using the XP Network Wizard) works fine in XP most of the time (it won't repair a dead NIC).

Louis

#3 wishmd

wishmd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:37 PM

I tried that - the "home" printer is not being recognized - presumably something related to the "print spooler" problem, I guess. :thumbsup:

Other ideas are appreciated.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

The Print Spooler service is on each/your system...if you are getting error messages about it.

That would seem to be where the troubleshooting must start.

A repair install of XP cures some leftover malware situations.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users