Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows Seven (Windows 7) Preview

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:27 PM

As some of you know, there has been a bit of "discussion" about Windows 7 lately (in press and at conference) and whether or not it will already hit the shelves next year. After Vista not being a real seller, MS needs to get moving. Sales numbers have dropped and they missed / ignored the "Cloud Computing" movement for too long.

A review of the beta release can be found at ZDNet here and screenshots here.

My personal view is that Vista looked like Aple, Windows Seven looks a bit like Linux/Aple and a bit of Windows :thumbsup:. I certainly hope that the MS version will get better. On a lighter side:
  • lots of features are planned to be downloadable rather than filling the hdd with stuff one never uses
  • the range of confusing and in my eyes rip off oriented subversions are not planned. Atleast not in that degree.

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:00 PM

To be honest, I (and perhaps at least a few others) am growing weary of 'the latest and best' that Microsoft 'forces' upon us.

I use the word 'force' as although I realize the 'latest and best' is a viable business decision for Microsoft, it can be more than a tad of a nightmare for some people, perhaps.

There seems to be two choices each time a 'latest and best' OT system is released.

One can buy the new OS (usually along with an entirely new computer) - and then purchase new software, as well.

Or one can keep their present OS system/computer until it finally dies - but in return for doing this, that "unsupported" nasty rears it's unattractive little head. The new software created to keep up with the 'latest and best' OT often won't run on an older computer - and worse, this can include the security programs vital to computer user's survival.

With the financial crunch hitting not just the States but so many other Countries, wonder if there really will be waiting lines for this newest version of Microsoft's OS?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#3 woodyblade

• Members
  • 670 posts
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:15 PM

Looks quite interesting based on that review whether people will buy it is another matter, as MaraM has said with Credit Crunch still affecting Countries will it get High Sales, but you have to take into account Windows 7 will not be ready till the End of Next Year or the begining of 2010 by that time the Financial Crisis will be over and the Economies will be recovering again and back to a bit of Growth.

I would bet that Microsoft will release Windows 7 in 2010, I believe this would be most likely.

#4 rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 03 November 2008 - 02:30 AM

Another take on Windows 7 from Marc Liron, plus other bits -

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:36 PM

Wow, one look at it and It's name should be changed to Lindows.

Anyways. I'm interested. Is their any way I can sign up for a future beta testing? I wanna try it.

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 04 November 2008 - 09:38 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#6 scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:23 PM

OT????? Not familiar with it.....the only OT I know of is OldTimer.....:thumbsup:....and I know it's not that....

But yeah....it'll be interesting to see how Windows 7 does once it comes out....whenever it does....

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users