Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Webcam as office monitor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dae06

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:42 AM

Hello, I would like to set up my office computer with a camera so I can see who enters the office without having to roll 10 feet in my chair and stand up to look over the seperators. I would assume this would be simple. I am not planning to do any recording or anything. I just want to be able to look at my computer screen and see who just entered the room. What equipment do I need. I have never owned a webcam or even used one. The door is ~30 feet from my desk and I could put the camera on top of my seperator and connect with a USB cable. Will I need special software if I am not going to record anything? Or is it as simple a plugging in a webcam via USB and seeing the video on my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:59 PM

Some info here:
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 dae06

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:36 AM

I've seen that post already. It is referring to Software needed to save a file to the HD. I don't want to save anything anywhere. I just want to know if I can buy a webcam, hook it to my computer and see (on my computer) what the camera sees, without any extra software or anything else.

Edited by dae06, 29 October 2008 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users