Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Install

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Spigon

Spigon

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:41 AM

Hi, I'm pretty much new to trying to install a new OS. Currently I am using Vista and do not like it one bit. I'm trying to install a Linux distro called Freespire. So I was wondering how would I go about wiping the hard drive to get rid of vista (does it even gets rid of vista)? Will using a software like "Darik's Boot and Nuke" allow me to wipe vista and install Freespire. Lastly if my computer after several months of running freespire and messes up, how do I restore it? Would I just reinstall it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:27 PM

well this is my first post am i allowed too take this one?...wiping your hard drive will not be necessary for this installation.the installation itself will effectively remove vista from your machine.....permanently.an operation i wouldnt reccomend unless you have restore discs handy,just in case your not happy.and yes if problems arise its a simple matter of a reinstallation.you could possibly do a dual boot configuration.

#3 Spigon

Spigon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:27 PM

I don't have a resotre/reinstall disk for vista but I do got one for xp. Can I use the xp restore disk on my labtop to install xp if linux fails?

#4 Spigon

Spigon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:02 PM

is anyone gonna help me?

#5 djsi

djsi

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

did your laptop come with restoration cds?maybe a vista restoration partition?and no you cannot install xp on your laptop if it came with vista,unless you pay for a xp installation.even so new laptops with vista installd can be very difficult too downgrade to xp as far as proprietory drivers go.

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:55 PM

Hay there Spigon
First "Patience is a virtue" and a bit of a must in computer forums :thumbsup: With as many different types of Linux (Distros) as there are and each being just alittle different, it's best to subscribe to the Distro's forum as well as this fine forum to get as much info as possible, In your case that would be http://forum.freespire.org/
Wiping Vista off the hard drive is as easy as telling Freespire to use the whole disk when it ask you where you want to install it. Getting it back would be a whole different matter. Never done the "Dual Boot" thing, but others have, maybe someone else can help you with that. You will need to back up everything you want to keep (of course) If you are on Dial-up and not on Cable or DSL (Broadband) , connecting might be a little (maybe alot) harder to figure out though.
You should also take this short test probably too.

If you have been wondering about Linux and which
distribution you should try you can take this short quiz and
it will give you it's best guess.
http://www.zegeniestudios.net/ldc/

I'd suggest PCLinuxOS myself, but I'm kinda biased :flowers:. as much as I don't like it , a Large number of people do like Ubuntu
As far as windows goes, I'm not going to pretend to have the first foggiest about what you can and can not do to your computer with it.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 12:52 AM

Just want to agree with "no one"
"Patience is a virtue"
"I'd suggest PCLinuxOS myself"

I had my share of problems with Lindows/Linspire/Freespire.
I've been using and recommending PCLOS for a few years now.
It is very newbie friendly.
Most all Linux installers can handle the partitioning for you, whether
you elect to wipe out vista or merely shrink it down.

I strongly suggest you do not use DBan because it destroys all
data and partitions on the drive. There is no recovery once you run it.

DBAN prevents or thoroughly hinders all known techniques of hard disk forensic analysis.

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:24 PM

I don't have a resotre/reinstall disk for vista but I do got one for xp. Can I use the xp restore disk on my labtop to install xp if linux fails?

You will want to check with the maker of your laptop to see if Windows XP drivers are available before you hose the Vista partition. In many instances your laptop may have a partition containing the files and drivers necessary to restore the OS.

There is a way to install Linux which does not require resizing or creating partitions. It's called Wubi.

http://wubi-installer.org/

If you decide you don't care for it you may uninstall Ubuntu using Add/Remove programs, just like any other application.

#9 Spigon

Spigon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:22 PM

Sorry guys but I think some of you are missing the point of this all. I HATE VISTA, I REALLY HATE IT! I want to get rid of this accursed OS forever but the only thing that worries me is what happens if Linux messes up. For example whenever any windows computer messes up then you just pop in the restore disk and it puts it back to factory date. But if Linux messes or just get to junkie for me what do I do? Would I reinstall it to get it back to it original start?

#10 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:31 PM

yep, but going Cold Turkey on Windows is not the greatest idea in the world. Linux will aggravate you a couple of times too

Posted Image

#11 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:29 PM

For example whenever any windows computer messes up then you just pop in the restore disk and it puts it back to factory date. But if Linux messes or just get to junkie for me what do I do? Would I reinstall it to get it back to it original start?

Good newbie question.
During the "partitioning" portion of the Linux install you will be asked:
Use free space
Shrink Windows partition
Use entire disk
If you are 102% sure you don't want Vista you will choose - Use entire disk
This will blow away Vista and any other partitions. In the next step you will create
new partitions. You should see an icon named - Auto Allocate.

On a 40GB hard drive, Auto Allocate created a 1GB swap partition,
and a root partition of 5.8GB, and a /home partition of the remaining space,

Click "Done" and wait for the changes to be written to the partition table.
Now you are ready to finish installing Linux.
The important bit here is the /home partition. This is where all you user files and configurations live.
If you hose your system beyond repair you just pop your Linux CD in and run the installer again.
The installer will see the partitions and by default (on my system) will only format /, leaving the
/home partition as is. Create a user with the same name as you had before and all your stuff is
just as it was.

I know this may seem overwhelming but if you take it slow you will be very happy
with Linux.

FYI: Linux provides Backup/Restore programs and what is referred to "Rescue Mode"
The usage is beyond the scope of the original topic so I will not elaborate further then
they exist.

Install PClinuxOS full tutorial:
http://www.computer-security-tutorials.com...-full-tutorial/

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users