Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Built-in Group Names Show Up in Computer Management

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spart

spart

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 08:02 AM

I tried installing VMWare workstation and when it got to then end it said it could not create the user and group name on my system.

When I went into Computer Management and clicked on Local User and Groups, in the Groups folder none of the built in group names show up.

For instance in Groups you should have:
Administrators
Backup Operators
Guests
Network Configuration
Power Users (etc.)

Well you get the jist of it.

Anyways none of those entries show up. I tried adding in Administrators manually and it said user group is already there. It doesn't show though.

I also created an entry called TEST and I added me to that as an administrator and it created it however then TEST name doesn't show up
in the Group Names.

At one time I had some malware and when I finally got rid of it I used a registry cleaner to clean up my registry. I was careful not to
delete stuff that should be there but I was wondering if something could've been deleted. Maybe a SID entry? I compared my desktop registry
with my laptop registry and the SID's do seem to match up for the most part.

I googled this problem and a the MIcrosoft website said to reinstall SP3. I did that but still no luck.

Does anyone know what to do? I am running Windows XP Pro SP3. I have a Workgroup set up but I'm not part of a domain if anyone asks that question.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Spart

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:46 AM

It sounds most likely that there's something corrupted in your registry that's related to permissions - and I'd suspect that it's related to the malware rather than the registry cleaner. I'd suggest something like the RRT (Remove Restrictions Tool) as a first guess, but haven't used it myself. It's available here: http://www.sergiwa.com/en/modules/mydownlo...cid=2&lid=1
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 spart

spart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:35 PM

I'll give it a try. CNET says it's ok so it must be good. I just want to know if others have used this? I'm still open for other ideas if anyone can help. I appreciate your help in this matter.

Thanks

Edited by spart, 28 October 2008 - 01:45 PM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

IMO, the effects of malware tend to remain...long after users think that the "offending files" have been ferreted out.

The only problem with the surgical approach to malware is...by the time users seem to realize that there is a malware problem, the impacts on the system have already been accomplished...and those impacts often seem to go far beyond what is readily apparent...IMO.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:09 PM

At work we use the 7 to 10 day rule - if we can't fix it within 7-10 days, we'll reinstall Windows for free (they pay for the backup).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 spart

spart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:52 AM

Well, I ran RRT. The only thing that came up that said I could fix was the "Firewall and System Files/Folder." Everything else was greyed out which when I sent
an email to the makers of this they said that that means there are no issues with the rest of the computer.

However the Groups folder in "Computer Management/Local Users and Groups" still shows up empty. Are there any other ideas?

I did find the missing groups when I typed the Net Localgroup from the command prompt. The entries were there, but for some reason they don't show up in
the Local User/Groups folder in Computer Management Console.

I'm only installing Windows over the current system as a last resort. I don't plan on doing a fresh install.

Edited by spart, 30 October 2008 - 10:35 AM.

#7 spart

spart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:56 AM

Still looking for help or any ideas. Does anyone out there know how to solve this problem?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users