Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

another AntiSpyware XP2009 victim

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

Last Thursday night I unknowingly loaded AntiSpyware 2009, complete with the misspelled popup message(duh) indicating that the pc has been infected. In following the previous posts here in this forum on measures to take (and being a bit risky as a newbie) I ran SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to stop it, and shame on me for seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, ran RSIT and combofix last night and am now seeking some skilled technical intervention (and mercy)going forward. I hope that I have not damaged anything myself with my risk-taking. Among other things still showing up, upon powerup I still get 2 error messages indicating dsca.exe and cli.exe have memory location errors, and it has disabled the ability to remove Norton Internet Security, as I purchased Norton 360 V2 but cannot load it yet due to the infection's damage. I know that additional issues are remaining and was wondering if someone would please be able to assist me when you have time. From running the above anti-virus programs I noticed it kept finding, among other files, the Brastk.exe file. I have snooped around the registry a bit but did not want to become a hacker myself and simply looked, but am interested in understanding more about it(later). I'm out of ideas at this point, a bit concerned I may have gone too far in my troubleshooting efforts, but was hoping someone could help me through the process to get my PC back to health. Thank you in advance, I appreciate your honesty and help.
Please let me know what I can provide and in what proper forums to send it to. Unfortunately I will monitor this before and after work, so excuse my delays in getting back to you.
thanks,
Mike

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:33 PM

Hi Mike

First, the "blue" tape... Combofix is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. Note the blue text in the box above your topic.

Let's start from the beginning and get a log. Please update and rescan with Malwarebytes and post a fresh log. Use these instructions.

On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note:
-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes.

Then let's look also at your Susper AntiSpyware log. Please update and run that as well. Post both logs and we will go from there.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for your reply. Here is the Malware log data:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1322
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

10/28/2008 9:01:02 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-28 (21-01-02).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 64677
Time elapsed: 6 minute(s), 3 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

And here is the SuperAntiSpyware log:
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log
http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 10/28/2008 at 09:28 PM

Application Version : 4.21.1004

Core Rules Database Version : 3611
Trace Rules Database Version: 1597

Scan type : Quick Scan
Total Scan Time : 00:16:16

Memory items scanned : 585
Memory threats detected : 0
Registry items scanned : 477
Registry threats detected : 0
File items scanned : 11959
File threats detected : 26

Adware.Tracking Cookie
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@revsci[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@fastclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@realmedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@www.burstnet[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@advertising[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@atwola[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@tacoda[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@ad.yieldmanager[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@atdmt[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@statcounter[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@adrevolver[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@adlegend[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@dynamic.media.adrevolver[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@adopt.euroclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@casalemedia[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@questionmarket[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@ads.pointroll[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@ads.bleepingcomputer[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@doubleclick[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@media.adrevolver[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@mediaplex[1].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@specificclick[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@apmebf[2].txt
C:\Documents and Settings\Mom\Cookies\mom@richmedia.yahoo[2].txt

Adware.MyWebSearch-Installer
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MADDIE\MY DOCUMENTS\MY MUSIC\SMILEYCENTRALPFSETUP2.2.60.11.EXE
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MADDIE\MY DOCUMENTS\MY PICTURES\CURSORMANIASETUP2.2.60.6.EXE

thanks,
Mike

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 10:14 PM

Next step... Follow these directions carefully...

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". <- This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#5 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:10 AM

Thanks again for the reply.
I ran the SDFix file and here is the log report:
SDFix: Version 1.238
Run by Mom on Wed 10/29/2008 at 06:20 AM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\743099~1 - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\2.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\3.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\4.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\5.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\8.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\9.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\a.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\C.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\2.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\11.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\11D.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\120.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\13.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\14.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\18.tmp - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\gcomd32.dll - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lm.dat - Deleted
C:\WINDOWS\wiaservv.log - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2008-10-29 06:31:49
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

detected NTDLL code modification:
ZwOpenFile

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

scanning hidden registry entries ...

scanning hidden files ...

scan completed successfully
hidden processes: 0
hidden services: 0
hidden files: 0

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqtra08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqtra08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqste08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqste08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpofxm08.exe:*:Enabled:hpofxm08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposfx08.exe:*:Enabled:hposfx08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hposid01.exe:*:Enabled:hposid01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqscnvw.exe:*:Enabled:hpqscnvw.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqkygrp.exe:*:Enabled:hpqkygrp.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqCopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpqcopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpfccopy.exe:*:Enabled:hpfccopy.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpzwiz01.exe:*:Enabled:hpzwiz01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqPhUnl.exe:*:Enabled:hpqphunl.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\Unload\\HpqDIA.exe:*:Enabled:hpqdia.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpoews01.exe:*:Enabled:hpoews01.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\HP\\Digital Imaging\\bin\\hpqnrs08.exe:*:Enabled:hpqnrs08.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Disabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Disabled:Windows Messenger"
"\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe"="\\??\\C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\winlogon.exe:*:enabled:@shell32.dll,-1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLDial.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Common Files\\AOL\\ACS\\AOLacsd.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\America Online 9.0\\waol.exe:*:Enabled:AOL"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (Phone)"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Wed 1 Sep 2004 54,384 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aolphx.exe"
Wed 1 Sep 2004 156,784 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\aoltray.exe"
Wed 1 Sep 2004 31,344 A..H. --- "C:\Program Files\America Online 9.0\RBM.exe"
Sun 13 Apr 2008 1,703,424 ..SH. --- "C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe"
Mon 20 Aug 2007 4,348 ..SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Sat 17 Nov 2007 24,576 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Maddie\My Documents\~WRL4049.tmp"
Sat 15 Dec 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv01.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch1\lock.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch2\lock.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch3\lock.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch4\lock.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch5\lock.tmp"
Wed 13 Dec 2006 8 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GTek\GTUpdate\AUpdate\Channels\ch6\lock.tmp"

Finished!

Status note: Upon powerup these two popups still show up:

dsca.exe - Application error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). CLick on OK to terminate the application.

cli.exe - Application error
The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b). CLick on OK to terminate the application.

I ventured ahead a bit and tried to uninstall the existing Norton Internet Security with the intent of installing the Norton 360 V2 using the Add/Remove option in Control Panel but it fails to acknowledge the action. I could go through the Program Files location for it and delete it piecemeal if it let me but I have cold feet on trying that right now. Please advise on SDFix and my options with Norton.

thanks,
Mike

#6 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 01:29 PM

I would hold off with deleting Norton's via piecemeal until we are clean. I think there were past problems with uninstalling Norton products. You may wish to browse their website for a FAQs on it.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop. alternate download link DO NOT use yet.
Please download and install SUPERAntiSpyware Free
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSypware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and unzip into the program's folder.)
  • Under the "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences... button.
  • Click the "General and Startup" tab, and under Start-up Options, make sure "Start SUPERAntiSpyware when Windows starts" box is unchecked.
  • Click the "Scanning Control" tab, and under Scanner Options, make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen and exit the program.
  • Do not run a scan just yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8 method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".

Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Scan with SUPERAntiSpyware as follows:
  • Launch the program and back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan and click "Next".
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes" and reboot normally.
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

#7 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:15 AM

Here is the log data from SuperAntiSpyware, after following the previous instructions listed:
SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

Generated 10/29/2008 at 11:13 PM

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 04:33:41

Memory items scanned : 173
Registry items scanned : 6301
File items scanned : 117974
File threats detected : 23

Adware.MyWebSearch-Installer
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MADDIE\MY DOCUMENTS\MY MUSIC\SMILEYCENTRALPFSETUP2.2.60.11.EXE
C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\MADDIE\MY DOCUMENTS\MY PICTURES\CURSORMANIASETUP2.2.60.6.EXE

Trojan.FakeAlert-GetSN
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP477\A0308068.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP477\A0310123.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP477\A0310139.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP477\A0311144.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP477\A0311162.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP478\A0311177.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP479\A0311369.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP479\A0311393.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP479\A0311564.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP479\A0311585.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP480\A0312586.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0312616.DLL

Rogue.Multi-Dropper/Installer
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP478\A0311176.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP479\A0311368.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP480\A0312593.DLL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0312615.DLL

Trojan.Dropper/Gen-Packed
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0312981.EXE
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0312983.EXE

Adware.SpeedRunner
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0312982.EXE

Trojan.Dropper/GOOL
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0313010.EXE

Browser Hijacker.MJCore
C:\SYSTEM VOLUME INFORMATION\_RESTORE{46DE8921-1D39-44D2-A9E9-64119261F211}\RP481\A0313026.DLL

thanks,
Mike

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:47 AM

Ok Mike, let's clear system restore and rerun SuperAntiSpyware.

Please Create a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since this is a protected directory your tools cannot access to delete these files, they sometimes can reinfect your system if you accidentally use an old restore point. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok"
  • Disk Cleanup will scan your files for several minutes, then open.
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click the "Clean up" button under System Restore.
  • Click Ok. You will be prompted with "Are you sure you want to delete all but the most recent restore point?"
  • Click Yes, then click Ok.
  • Click Yes again when prompted with "Are you sure you want to perform these actions?"
  • Disk Cleanup will remove the files and close automatically.
Then update and rerun SuperAntiSpyware. Post a new log. Thanks!

#9 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:49 AM

After creating the new System Restore, then ran Disk Cleanup, and then update and rerun SuperAntiSpyware to get this latest log:

UPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

Generated 10/31/2008 at 06:51 AM

Scan type : Complete Scan
Total Scan Time : 01:11:37

Memory items scanned : 611
Registry items scanned : 6301
File items scanned : 101454
File threats detected : 0

Must be getting close!

thanks,
Mike

#10 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 08:01 AM

That looks a lot better!

Please run the F-Secure Online Scanner
Note: This Scanner is for Internet Explorer Only!
Follow the Instruction here for installation.
Accept the License Agreement.
Once the ActiveX installs,Click Full System Scan
Once the download completes, the scan will begin automatically.
The scan will take some time to finish, so please be patient.
When the scan completes, click the Automatic cleaning (recommended) button.
Click the Show Report button and Copy&Paste the entire report in your next reply.

#11 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:45 PM

A twist in the progress. Updated SuperAntispyware after sending last reply this morning, let it run for 4.5 hrs, approx. Got home from work and family members had gone on laptop and went online. Was told that scan had no defects, so it was closed up. Blood started to boil. Went to see your reply and start the F-Secure download only to have popup message say that Downloaded databse file is corrupt! PLease close scanner and try again (3 times.). Restarted, only to have Xp virus popup message say "pc was infected...pERvent it by...".
Ran Malware program and here is log:
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.30
Database version: 1322
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

10/31/2008 7:18:47 PM
mbam-log-2008-10-31 (19-18-47).txt

Scan type: Full Scan (C:\|)
Objects scanned: 149815
Time elapsed: 43 minute(s), 22 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 1
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 1
Registry Values Infected: 1
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 8

Memory Processes Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Unloaded process successfully.

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MRSoft (Trojan.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Values Infected:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\brastk (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
C:\WINDOWS\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\VZZNNJJV.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\delself.bat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

I assume XPvirus is back? Please advise.

Mike

#12 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 09:25 PM

Hi Mike,

You are right in your assessment. What we did with our scans was to remove the "cover" for a very nasty rootkit. Now for the bad news...

C:\WINDOWS\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\karna.dat (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\VZZNNJJV.sys (Rootkit.Agent) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\delself.bat (Malware.Trace) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\beep.sys (Fake.Beep.Sys) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
C:\WINDOWS\system32\brastk.exe (Trojan.FakeAlert) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

IMPORTANT NOTE: One or more of the identified infections was related to a rootkit component. Rootkits and backdoor Trojan are very dangerous because they use advanced techniques (backdoors) as a means of accessing a computer system that bypasses security mechanisms and steal sensitive information which they send back to the hacker. Many rootkits can hook into the Windows 32-bit kernel, and patch several APIs to hide new registry keys and files they install. Remote attackers use backdoor Trojans and rootkits as part of an exploit to gain unauthorized access to a computer and take control of it without your knowledge.

If your computer was used for online banking, has credit card information or other sensitive data on it, all passwords should be changed immediately to include those used for banking, email, eBay, paypal and online forums. You should consider them to be compromised. They should be changed by using a different computer and not the infected one. If not, an attacker may get the new passwords and transaction information. Banking and credit card institutions should be notified of the possible security breach. Because your computer was compromised please read How Do I Handle Possible Identify Theft, Internet Fraud and CC Fraud?

Although the rootkit was identified and removed, your PC has likely been compromised and there is no way to be sure the computer can ever be trusted again. It is dangerous and incorrect to assume that because the rootkit has been removed the computer is now secure. In some instances an infection may have caused so much damage to your system that it cannot be completely cleaned or repaired. The malware may leave so many remnants behind that security tools cannot find them. Many experts in the security community believe that once infected with this type of malware, the best course of action is to wipe the drive clean, reformat and reinstall the OS. Please read:

"When should I re-format? How should I reinstall?"
"Help: I Got Hacked. Now What Do I Do?"
"Where to draw the line? When to recommend a format and reinstall?"

Should you decide not to follow that advice, we will do our best to help clean the computer of any infections but we cannot guarantee it to be trustworthy or that the removal will be successful.

Let me know how you wish to proceed. We will help in any way we can.

#13 mike_bpmn

mike_bpmn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the update.
Well, am highly considering the re-format option of the hard drive and preparing myself to do it with least amount of pain but most amount to gain; however, prevailing questions related to doing that: it is a Dell laptop and in looking up the reformat and/or reinstalling Windows technical documents on Dell's support site (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&doclang=en&cs=), one of the options available is Dell's own PCRestore function. Does this have any merit to restore to original factory settings (have to back up data, etc. which could retain potential virus remnanats I'm assuming? in the process)vs. re-formatting in terms of thoroughness and cleanliness of the virus or not? Please advise. (We have changed passwords, etc., across the board already from a different pc, too and am watching our accounts closely.).

thanks,
Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users