Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using a Proxy to Protect Yourself

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:25 PM

According to Babylon a proxy is power to act of behalf of another person. Which in the computer world a proxy is power to have your computer to act on behalf of another computer. Refer to the following picture... :thumbsup:

Posted Image

You can find many free proxies just by doing a good google search or you can be lazy and use the one here... http://www.stayinvisible.com/index.pl/proxy_list

And btw, who here already uses them? And if you do, what programs do you use them for and do you like it?

Edited by yanowhiz, 03 May 2005 - 08:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:10 PM

Just so you know free proxies are illegal to use. People think that they are legal, but what you are actually doing is illegally using another companies resources due to a user exploiting their misconfiguration.

People who use proxies think that it is ok to use them because they are misconfigured, but in my eyes that like saying its ok to enter someone's house because they left the door open.

On the other hand, pay for proxy services, or public ones are legal to use.

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:18 PM

So wait, someone could possiblity use my computer as a proxy without knowing about it? (without I knowing about it)?

#4 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:28 PM

So wait, someone could possiblity use my computer as a proxy without knowing about it? (without I knowing about it)?

In my litle understanding I wuth say YES JL

#5 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 10:31 PM

But couldn't I prevent that by running a firewall?

#6 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:11 AM

Another quick question... is a public proxy illegal? safe? good choice?

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:09 PM

If you have a proxy server on your computer (whether via a malware or by choice) and it is installed/configured incorrectly to allow outside computers to use your computer as the proxy, then yes they could illegaly use it.

Public proxies that are not designed to be public are illegal to use. If a company is offering a public proxy, they will probably say it on their website or other service offering . On the other hand, those lists that are out there with free proxies..are generally misconfigured proxy servers that people illegaly use.

#8 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:41 PM

So basically to make sure I don't get sued or get into trouble I should buy a proxy?

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 02:49 PM

Only get one if you need one. Personally I dont use one as I feel its not necessary

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users