Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New System Constant Freezes

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bodzio20

Bodzio20

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:12 PM

Hey Guys.
I just have a quick question. I just built a new system and it freezes on me all the time. I can get only about 4 to 5 minutes working time on the computer. Here are the specs.

MSI 925X Neo
Pentium 4 3.0
Corsair Value Ram 1gig
550 watt psu
radeon 7200

So I guess the heat is not the issue cuz it runs at about 60 when it actually runs. The psu came with the case so its pretty generic. The video card is old but how could the video card cause crashes. There are also 2 different types of crashes: the screen goes blank or it starts flickering, or i just can't click anything and after a while the mouse freezes as well. Now its really frustrating so if you could help I'd appreciate it. If you need more info let me know.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jbravo

jbravo

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:13 AM

Num 1 suspect is still your heat sink fan.

try replacing with another.

jb..

#3 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 06:56 AM

It sounds like a heat related problem - are you absolutely certain you've got your CPU heatsink on the right way round and bedded down? I'm guessing its the stock Intel P4 cooler since you did not specify anything else. In systems I've built I've found it very easy to fit the 'wrong way round' and have it not bed down correctly. They look symmetrical but they don't seem to fit that way.

Failing that it's unplug everything, replug it and try again. Maybe download Everest so you can monitor your system temperatures in realtime:
Everest download

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#4 Bodzio20

Bodzio20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

Thanks Man.
So I installed Everest and the temps on it are pretty low. CPU is 53 and the mobo is 30. What I did notice was in the voltage section. It says the +12V is only 5.89V.
I don't know if that could cause my crashes. And I'm positive the HS is in the right way cause everything just snapped in place and I'm using the Arctic Silver 5 thermal compund. And theres another thing you might want to know. The computer would turn ON after I turned it OFF and walked away. I know it sounds weird but it did.

#5 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 05 May 2005 - 07:06 PM

Hmmm... I've checked my system and the +12v comes up as ~10.6v which is a bit strange but I put it down to a sensor error. If yours were really 5.89v I don't think the PC would start at all, but then it frequently doesn't does it?

I'd get your power supply checked/replaced and see what happens.

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#6 junkdk

junkdk

• Members
  • 345 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:50 PM

Dear Bodzio,

I agree with Rimmer, your power supply needs looking at.

At the very least clean it. If you a are familiar with computers and electronics, open the power supply. See if there is any corrosion or such.

A lot of times, old wires, cold solder joints, or just plain dirt are the cause of most power supply failures.

Then again a charcoaled capacitor could do it. :thumbsup:

Let us know,

junkdk :flowers:

Edited by Leurgy, 06 May 2005 - 07:58 AM.

Your Hardware Guide.

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 08:06 AM

Opening a Power Supply is a very dangerous procedure unless you are a trained electronics technician. Even when disconnected from any power source they contain electrolytic capacitors that retain a high voltage charge that can seriously injure if handled improperly.

IMHO its not worth the risk to see if maybe it can be cleaned and made operable again (I doubt that would be successful anyway, if it fails from a short then its damaged, and at the very least, unreliable). A new power supply can be purchased fairly cheaply and installation is not difficult.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,393 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have to agree... power supplies are cheap enough that you can buy a new one (60 dollars for a very good one), so it's not worth taking any risk

#9 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:21 PM

I agree, too. As many as 1/3 of the cheap power supplies fail right out of the box. It's worth spending a little more.

#10 Bodzio20

Bodzio20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:26 PM

Damn.
Thanks Guys I didn't expect all these replies. OK so heres what I did. Since I had no idea what was wrong I went down to Micro Center and bought a new power supply and a new video card for the pci-e slot. The psu is a Mad Dog 500 Watt. The video card is pretty cheap, just a generic geforce 6200 but it would still be better than my old one. So i install the new PSU and guess what? 5 seconds into windows being loaded the computer freezes. I was pissed cuz I was betting on the psu.So the only thing left to do was put in the video card. Well it didn't freeze yet but I just can't believe it would be the video card. I mean how could the video card cause my computer to start by its self. By the way Rimmer the sonsor must be bad cuz even with the new psu it registers 5.95V. Well we'll see hopefully it will run with no glitches anymore. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks again for your responses.

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:58 PM

Was the old card AGP or PCI? AGP cards have two voltages, 3.3V or 1.5V (and I'm going to hear about that :thumbsup: ). If you had the wrong voltage set in the Bios or the mobo didn't support the voltage the card wanted you could get that behaviour.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#12 Bodzio20

Bodzio20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2005 - 03:01 PM

The old card was a PCI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users