Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

@ Billy: I am experiencing the exact same thing as CoachMcGuirk

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Anton K

Anton K

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 12:26 AM

Hi I am experiencing the exact same infection as CoachMcGuirk who has an open topic further down.

I hope you guys find a cure because it is driving me nuts.

My setup is Vista Ultimate, Outlook 2007, Gmail via IMAP.

so i have the same email provider as CoachMcGuirk - but as he is - i am sure it is happening inside outlook.

I would like to help resolve this so if you need any logs or whatever please guide me (Maybe a consistensy with CoachMcGuirk's logs can prove something?)

Best regards and thanks

Anton K

PS: I am seeing a program in the add remove programs that I am certain i did not install, it is called System Requirements Lab - could that be relevant?

Edited by Anton K, 28 October 2008 - 12:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:13 PM

I am seeing a program in the add remove programs that I am certain i did not install, it is called System Requirements Lab - could that be relevant?

System Requirements Lab is also known as CanYouRunIt.com
This site allows users to quickly determine if their computer can run programs such as the latest games or Windows Vista. Within moments, the user is given a comprehensive report that indicates if additional memory, an advanced video card, driver updates, etc are required to get full use of the desired program.
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 05:06 PM

(Note: I am not an expert in this field yet, and if you are uncomfortable following any of my instructions before getting a more experienced user's second opinion, that is fine)

Have you tried a scan with Malwarebytes anti-malware? Or kaspersky? If not, please do the following:

Download, install, update and run MalwareBytes Anti-malware.

Malwarebytes

After the file is installed, open the program and go to the "Update" Tab, check for updates, the program should automatically install the latest updates.

Choose the "scanner" tab, and run a full scan . After the scan is complete, it will display the infected items, make sure all items are checked and then click "Remove Selected".It will also display a log file in notepad, copy and paste that logfile in your next reply.

-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

After you reboot your computer, the logfile will be located in the MBAM program. Open the program and go to the "logs" tab and open the most recent log (the one you just ran)

Please do a scan with Kaspersky Online Scanner.

This scan is for Internet Explorer Only.

If you are using Windows Vista, open your browser by right-clicking on its icon and select Run as administrator to perform this scan.

* Please disable your realtime protection software before proceeding. Refer to this page if you are unsure how.
* Open the Kaspersky Scanner page.
* Click on Accept and install any components it needs.
* The program will install and then begin downloading the latest definition files.
* After the files have been downloaded on the left side of the page in the Scan section select My Computer
* This will start the program and scan your system.
* The scan will take a while, so be patient and let it run.
* Once the scan is complete, click on View scan report
* Now, click on the Save Report as button.
* Save the file to your desktop.
* Copy and paste that information in your next post.

This scanner will only scan. It does not remove any malware it finds.

Please post back with:
- Kaspersky Log
-MBAM log

Edited by xblindx, 28 October 2008 - 05:07 PM.

#4 Anton K

Anton K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 03:02 AM

SOLUTION FOUND!

Simply cancel subscription to the GMAIL spam folder in IMAP settings!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users