Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer keeps rebooting automatically

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 patch

patch

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

My desktop was running fine and sitting idle when it rebooted on its own. The "we apologize for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully" screen appears. I have tried every option it provides: starting normally, in safe mode, with the last known good configuration - but all have the same results. The Windows startup screen appears for a few seconds and then the computer reboots automatically. All of the hardware components seem to be in good working order and I did everything possible to eliminate a potential static electricity issue.

Any idea what the issue could be? Hardware? Software?

I'm running XP if that helps. The only two options I haven't tried are starting with command prompt and starting with networking - I wouldn't know what to do there anyway.

any assistance would be appreciated, thanks.

P.S. - HELP - this is my gaming machine!

Edited by patch, 04 May 2005 - 06:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

How long was it running before it shut down by itself?

#3 patch

patch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

Only a couple of hours - 4 maybe

#4 wayne937

wayne937

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:28 PM

Patch! check out this website on troubleshooting shutdowns and startups.
http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm There is a lot of good information there.

#5 patch

patch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 05:53 PM

Thanks, That is a good site - but I can't even get my computer to open so I can effect any of the changes. It starts with the WindowsXP screen with the bar moving across the bottom for about 1.5 seconds and then it reboots, goes back to the "we're sorry" screen then cycles back through. Any suggestions on how I can get it to stay on so I can run some scans or something?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 08:23 PM

Try starting in safe mode (tapping F8 while it tries to boot)

#7 patch

patch
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:06 PM

Tried that too, and debugging mode...all with the same results.

Actually, with Safe mode it lists out a bunch of drivers and the last driver it lists is Mup.sys and it reboots without showing the startup screen.

Can this file be the issue? How do I fix or replace the file if I can't get the computer to boot?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users