Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win XP works but cannot accept CD burning software...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 11:22 PM

Hi...
I have a computer running Win XP...Lately has been weird, my daughter wanted to install Quake and when she popped in the CD suddenly the machine aborted installation. I tried to open Nero, to burn all the important stuff but it said that couldnt find the nero.exe....and so it went. Then I popped in the Win XP disc trying to have it fix itself to no avail...Checked the c: drive and clicked on scan for errors and fix them...it ran and said it found a couple...Rebooted but all seemed same...I used Super Anti spy, ran a full scan, found several worms and parasites...quarantine them...then ran a full AVG visur scan...found one thatw as also quarantined....all was same afterwards....Then I just thought of installing again Win XP on a new partition...while installing it aborted saying it couldnt find a file needed to keep running....So my only choice is now to format the damn thing?...ANy suggestions?...Thanks.

Win XP w service pack 2...Athlon XP 2.5 (or so)...160GB HD...512 of memory...DVD-R...

Edited by ignorantmonkey, 27 October 2008 - 11:22 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<...while installing it aborted saying it couldnt find a file needed to keep running....>>

What file? What was the exact error message, please?

What other problems with XP have you noticed? Do all other applications work properly?

Have you checked Event Viewer for clues?

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#3 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:22 PM

Im away from home, but will be back saturday....I will reply with the error message. Thanks!

#4 ignorantmonkey

ignorantmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:33 PM

Hi Louis...Thanks for your help.

When I tried to install again Windows XP using the disc, it started and then after I typed the serial numbers and accepted them the following message showed up:

Installation program can't create, find or modify a critical file: (c:\$win_nt$.~bt\winnt.sif) needed to start Windows XP.
(Cannot create a file when that file already exists).

Then I tried to install Nero, using the disc to burn the files I dont want to lose and then the following message showed up:
"1607. Unable to install shield scripting runtime.

Then while trying to install a game disc the following reads:
"Setup is unable to decompress and copy all of the program files needed to proceed with the installation. Contact your software vendor. Error 112.

All discs are original and are in mint condition.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Run chkdsk again and report back the results.

Right click on the C drive in Explorer and go Properties > Tools > Check Now (under Error Checking). Check both boxes then click "Start Now". A message will pop up saying that Error Checking will run after you restart the computer. Restart the computer and Error Checking will run automatically after the restart. After itís finished it will restart into Windows automatically.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:28 PM

<<Installation program can't create, find or modify a critical file: (c:\$win_nt$.~bt\winnt.sif) needed to start Windows XP.
(Cannot create a file when that file already exists).>>

That tells me that you were trying to install XP...while within XP. As the message states, it cannot be done.

If your intent is to do a clean install of XP, which will eliminate everything...then Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

If your intent is to do a repair install of XP, which keeps all programs installed and all data files intact...then How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964 AND
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

I'd also suggest checking your BIOS to see if your system clock is accurate. A failing CMOS battery can cause varied quirks in the O/S.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users