Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Model View Controller

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:37 PM

Hello all :thumbsup:

I've been reading about large scale web application design, specificly Model View Controller (MVC) design philosophy. Everywhere I go suggests use of a framework, such as the Zend Framework, or CakePHP, in order to get started.

Is this a good idea, and if so, what is the best framework in your humble opinion?

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 07:27 AM

MVC is simple. The model is the data and the business logic. The view is the...well...the visual representation of the data. The controller passes the data from the model to the view, and vice versa. Or put another way, the controller is a set of APIs that one can use to get data, and request data. This uncouples the visualization from the data, and uncouples the data from the visualization.

What do you think that a 'framework' is going to do for you, besides lock you into someone else's libraries and implementation? If I have to depend on someone else's 'framework' then any time that they decide to change something, there is a danger that my applications are going to break. There is also a danger that something is going on in the background of which I am unaware, and may present a security risk.

http://securepoint.com/lists/html/bugtraq/...1/msg00093.html
http://www.juniper.net/security/auto/vulne.../vuln19372.html
https://trac.cakephp.org/ticket/4799

Who needs the extra headache?

#3 Billy O'Neal

Billy O'Neal

Visual C++ STL Maintainer

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 12,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 04:09 PM

Okie dokie :thumbsup:

I'm not saying I have to rely on a framework.. it has simply been suggested to me in the past.

Thanks for the input!

Billy3
Twitter - My statements do not establish the official position of Microsoft Corporation, and are my own personal opinion. (But you already knew that, right?)
Posted Image

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:15 PM

I am recommending that you do not rely on a framework, because there is nothing to be gained from it. It will not speed things up, and it will cost you on the maintenance end. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users