Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

compatibility of "open office" suite and Microsoft Office Suite?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 alpad

alpad

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 09:04 PM

We have it on 2 of the 3 computers we have and it doesn't seem to be compatible with Word as it is said to be. When my daughter attaches her assignments to her professor it doesn't work.

It is on a refurbished Dell ( XP PRO Interl® Celeron® CPU: 2.40 GHZ, 2.39Ghz, RAM: 504 MB).

What might I try to get these programs to sync?

Thanks so much!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:28 PM

Hello alpad,

When she saves the document to send to the professor, which format is she saving it in? If she saves it as the default .odt, Word won't be able to open it. In the small window by "Save as Type" she needs to click the arrow to cause the drop down menu to come up, then select the proper Word version to save it as. My version of Open Office has the following MS Word options:

MS Word 97/2000/XP (.doc)
MS Word 95 (.doc)
MS Word 6.0 (.doc)

There is also an XML version. The latest version of Open Office, version 3, is also compatible with MS Word 2007; however, I don't know how that appears in the drop down menu as I don't yet have that version of Open Office.

Once she has chosen the proper Word format, then she needs to save the document. This is the version she should submit to the professor.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#3 DnDer

DnDer

• Members
  • 646 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:09 PM

In the opposite direction, she might not be able to read everything her professor sends her, depending on his version of MS Office (watch out if they try to upgrade).

The only conflict I can imagine is that the newest version of MS Office has changed the default extension of the files to .docx from the original .doc. The version of Open Office I have cannot read .docx files, but I think the latest version can. Not 100% sure on that, though.

Like Blossom said, just pick out the format for saving as the 97/2000/XP versions, and you should be fine from both ends of the spectrum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users