Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally deleted my Command Prompt

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:37 PM

I had some malware, which whenever I logged onto my pc out of safe mode it would open up window upon window upon window of the cmd prompt. So in my frustration i just deleted it I think. Any ideas how I could get that back?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:29 PM

Hi Pray For Snow,

Your post isn't completely clear. Do you mean you only got the cmd prompt opening up window after window after window when you were in safe mode or in regular mode? Did you delete it from regular or safe mode?
How did you delete it?
Can you still get into Safe Mode?

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:13 AM

Tell us what you did...in order to "delete it".

Louis

#4 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 01:48 PM

I Had malware and my pc was running very slow in normal mode. All of a sudden many windows of the command prompt opened up, and kept opening up preventing me from doing anything because they would just keep opening. I finally made it into C/windows/system32 I believe and just rightclick>deleted cmd.exe and one other file, the name of that file I forgot but it said it on the on some of the windows that would pop up. Come to think of it do you think it coulve just been a.. DOS window opening up? I deleted it in normal mode and they stopped. Now whenever i type cmd.exe into star>run it says windows cannot find cmd.exe make sure you typed the name correctly.

Thanks

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:34 PM

Well...if you deleted cmd.exe...it seems logical to try to put it back.

I suggest running sfc /scannow, if you have an XP CD.

LEARN how to use SFC.EXE (system file checker) in this article! - http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

If you cannot run the command sfc /scannow (for whatever reason), I suggest a repair install of XP.

If you cannot do a repair install of XP, I know of no other way to get system files back where they belong in XP.

Louis

#6 Pray For Snow

Pray For Snow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

Gah! I deleted DOS i think. I cant open any windows NT files or MS DOS BATCH files AAHHHH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users