Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Should I upgrade or just get a new pc

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 user72

user72

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:59 PM

right now I'm typing on my 5 year old computer with 512mb ram and a xp 2500+ processor. it works fine for
surfing most the time and for email and for posting. But I have noticed i can run out of system memory. should i just add more ram and maybe swap out to a xp 3200+ I don't really play any new games. or should i just say heck with it and get a new computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:08 PM

Well it's really up to you. How much money do you want to spend? You would probably be fine just upgrading to at least 1gb of ram, 2gb may be unnecessary on windows xp for just surfing the web though. Upgrading an older processor like that won't give you much of a performance boost either, at least for how much it will cost, it won't be worth it.

Also, if you want to buy a new computer, you can get one with an AMD dual-core processor, and probably 2gb of ram for around $400 or less now.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 user72

user72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 08:22 PM

okay, thanks for the advice, it seems that I've made the decision to get a new computer and get rid of this one!

#4 user72

user72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:25 PM

okay here's the next question:
where is a good place to get a new computer system?
THe computer I am using right now I put together myself using New Egg for most of the components.
Do they have desktops already ready for purchase? if so do they have a universal power supply. If I get a Dell or a
brand name don't they have modular power supplies, etc.?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 06:44 PM

Why buy a new computer...when buying a new motherboard/CPU bundle and RAM will do? Or a barebones?

Unless time to spend on assembly is a consideration...

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 28 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Buying a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM is an extensive overhaul. You can always reuse the case and drives. Unless you're comfortable doing an upgrade of that scale, purchasing might be a better option. Dell and most mass-producers of PC's mix and match brands to keep costs down, therefore quality of the parts is not guaranteed. I'm not sure if Dell uses proprietary power supplies and connectors, if so that could be a problem for future upgrades. Boutique builders don't have the volume of the major manufacturers, but they have parts from well-known and respected companies. You do pay more at the boutiques but you get a higher quality of build and customer service. I've purchased from Maingear and Puget Systems, they both are good. Newegg does have pre-configured desktops available for purchase today if you don't want to waste time in building the PC.

Edited by DJBPace07, 28 October 2008 - 09:21 PM.

3939.png

#7 user72

user72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:29 PM

OKay, here's what i have now:

asus motherboard
amd xp 2500+ cpu
kingston 512mb ram
geforce fx 5200
120gb hardrive
2 lite-on drives 1 dvdr and one dvdrom
i am using windows xp sp2

i was hoping to buy a barebones kit with new motherboard, cpu, ram and case, psu,
can i use my old hardrive? or does it have to be SATA?
CAn I use my copy of windows xp on the the new processors?
can i use these dvd drives or do I have to get new Optical ones? wait a minute, what is the diff?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:10 PM

How much money are you prepared to spend in total?

You don't seem to know what you want to do...tell us how much money you want to spend and we can lay out options for what you can reasonably do.

Since you don't seem to want a gaming-oriented rig, what makes you think you need to upgrade anything?

If you are happy with your current system...just buy more RAM.

Louis

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2008 - 11:36 PM

Can i use my old hardrive? or does it have to be SATA?
Can I use my copy of windows xp on the the new processors?
Can i use these dvd drives or do I have to get new Optical ones? wait a minute, what is the diff?

If your computer is this old I'm guessing that the hdd is either a ATA or PATA using a IDE data cable. Most motherboards still have at least one IDE connector on the motherboard, so you could use the old hdd. If you do use the old hdd and it is a Windows operating system you should be prepared to make a fresh installation of the operating system. There are problems with the registry recognizing IDs from the previous motherboards chipset and those of the new motherboard, this can cause the OS to fail.

If you own a retail copy of Windows you should be able to contact Microsoft and explain that you have upgraded the motherboard and have it authenticated.

Your CD and DVD drives are optical drives, they utilize lasers, hence optical. Yes, you can use those. The problem, depending on the motherboard you use, is with the number of IDE connectors on the motherboard. As I mentioned previously, most motherboards only have one IDE connector as the industry is leaning toward SATA drives. You can purchase a PCI to IDE card which would allow you to use more IDE type devices, I would make sure that the hdd goes on the motherboard's IDE connector.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 user72

user72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

okay, now that you have put things in perspective, Louis

I think I'll just throw in some more ram, thanks for the info guys.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:22 PM

There's no reason to have less than 2GB in a system these days, prices are the best they've ever been.

Happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#12 darkestside

darkestside

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2008 - 09:32 AM

Yes we for sure need to have a bit more input before we can offer you all of the information that you want. You could reuse most of the parts in your current computer but the only problem is the number of available IDE connector on most all current motherboards. If you were to use the DVD-R and the hard drive you could then use the old hard drive otherwise current hard drive prices are amazing as of late; you can easily get 1:1 ratio on GB:Dollar if not less. If you have a standard case you could reuse that if it's a microATX or ATX case. Then you would just need a new motherboard, memory, processor, and power supply. It's all up to what you want to do.
Posted Image

#13 Tagged

Tagged

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 08 November 2008 - 02:17 AM

Agrees with darkestside.

And a few lines back, someone asked if Dell uses propriatory's. The answer is YES. The problem is they charge about 20 to 40% more than anyone else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users