Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot connect to a printer via network

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 twistedmonkey

twistedmonkey

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 AM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

I have a Canon printer hooked up to a computer running XP. when I try to install the printer at a different computer I get the message- "Windows cannot connect to the printer. Either the printer name was typed incorrectly, or the specified printer has lost it's connection to the server".

I've done all the obvious things, uninstal, reinstall, check the workgroups, etc.

I am clueless at this point.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:05 PM

Worth a look: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/n...cutt_july2.mspx

http://lifehacker.com/software/step-by-ste...work-309015.php

Louis

#3 twistedmonkey

twistedmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:21 PM

Yeah I've been all through the normal "add a printer" wizards and such, I get all the way to the point of seeing and choosing the networked printer I want, THAT's when I get that message. I've set up a lot of printers on networks and have never seen this before.

The only common denominator I've been able to think of, since this is happening at more than one location, is that I've introduced a new computer that runs Vista but has the XP package built in.

In one instance the new (vista/xp) computer has the printer connected directly. In the second instance, it is not.

Edited by twistedmonkey, 28 October 2008 - 09:24 AM.

#4 twistedmonkey

twistedmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

Anyone?

#5 twistedmonkey

twistedmonkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2008 - 05:20 PM

I'm now getting this error all over the place. With some of the computers being extremely old and no changes being mad at all, just moving desks around.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users