Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm So Stupid...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PurePwnage

PurePwnage

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hi. So, I built my computer (and built A COMPUTER) for the first time back in March of 2007. Only made one build since then for my dad.

Lately, I'd been receiving some very odd heat related errors. Very strange.

My computer was running strong one night, and then just shut off. I tried to turn it on. Didn't work. Turned it on its side w/ the side piece off, worked. Turned out a bent USB was shorting out a part of the motherboard (a small flame actually lit :thumbsup: )

So after a week of side off, sitting on it's side. I figured I could safely put the side on and stand it up. 5 minutes after boot; off. Turned back on w/ side off, boot after 10 seconds. So I flipped it to its side...and it worked fine, but this was strange and I wanted to investigate it. Turns out my GPU was running @ 150 Degrees Fahrenheit.

I took it out to vacuum the dust off and IDIOTICALLY didn't take out the VGA. I tried to pry it up (Again, stupid) and got it up, but the yellow PCI-E x16 plastic piece came off and the last few prongs were bent.

Any way I can fix this or should I just buy a new mobo?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

A new motherboard is in order
I personally would only attempt to fix the old one if I was bored with nothing else to do. Just so i could say I fixed it and that would be highly improbable
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

A new motherboard is in order
I personally would only attempt to fix the old one if I was bored with nothing else to do. Just so i could say I fixed it and that would be highly improbable

So there's ABSOLUTELY no way that this can be scalvaged by just telling the motherboard not to use the PCI-E?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 07:16 PM

Didn't realize that was an option you would consider. You should be able to disable it in the BIOS
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 02:47 PM

Didn't realize that was an option you would consider. You should be able to disable it in the BIOS

Thanks.

Now just as a recommendation, I'd like to get many views on this. This mobo obviously has many problems. I could:

1. Continue with it with the top off and such using an NVidia GeForce 6100 nForce 400
2. Buy the same Motherboard and use that one (so I wouldn't have to reformat or anything)
3. Buy a PCI x1 Gfx Card

I have 2 PCI spots left. One is a very small one w/ the space in the middle, another is almost the same size as the PCI-E x16, except the space in it is in a different spot.

Is it worth it to do that? Or am I not going to see a huge improvement?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 03:26 PM

PCI slots have the spaces, etc. in the same place on every slot.

You may be looking at another PCI-e slot, http://peripherals.about.com/od/computerte.../whatispcie.htm

What's the board manufacturer and model?

Louis

#7 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 07:47 PM

PCI slots have the spaces, etc. in the same place on every slot.

You may be looking at another PCI-e slot, http://peripherals.about.com/od/computerte.../whatispcie.htm

What's the board manufacturer and model?

Louis

Hi. Here's my board.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813186105

Foxconn is the manufacturer.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:07 PM

According to your specs, you have:

1 PCI-e x16 slot

1 PCI-e x1 slot

2 PCI expansion slots

Louis

#9 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:18 PM

According to your specs, you have:

1 PCI-e x16 slot

1 PCI-e x1 slot

2 PCI expansion slots

Louis

So I should buy a PCI-e x1?

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

I can't tell you what to do :thumbsup:, I can only tell you what I would do.

I don't game and I don't use the PCI-e video card which I own, preferring to use the simplicity of onboard. It's adequate for what I do.

If you game, get a card that will allow you to continue to game...and for which you have a workable slot...that's the cheapest alternative (usually the ones I choose are the most inexpensive).

Louis

#11 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 05:25 PM

I can't tell you what to do :thumbsup:, I can only tell you what I would do.

I don't game and I don't use the PCI-e video card which I own, preferring to use the simplicity of onboard. It's adequate for what I do.

If you game, get a card that will allow you to continue to game...and for which you have a workable slot...that's the cheapest alternative (usually the ones I choose are the most inexpensive).

Louis

But you said the PCI-E x16 would work in the PCI-E x1...here's an interesting thing I noticed today. On the "top" of the graphics card, there's a small row of gold lines (like the one's on the bottom that get fitted into the PCI-E x16 slot, except it's smaller. That couldn't go anywhere, right?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,127 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2008 - 07:02 PM

<<But you said the PCI-E x16 would work in the PCI-E x1...>>

I think you are hallucinating :thumbsup:...I said no such thing. I'm the person who told you that what you described as a PCI slot...was in fact a PCI-e slot.

Louis

#13 PurePwnage

PurePwnage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2008 - 03:49 PM

<<But you said the PCI-E x16 would work in the PCI-E x1...>>

I think you are hallucinating :thumbsup:...I said no such thing. I'm the person who told you that what you described as a PCI slot...was in fact a PCI-e slot.

Louis

Alright, I'll just buy the new video card. I'm just a little concerned that the mobo is hitting the dust and it'd be in essence, a waste of $.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users