Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Partitions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Bashebabutt

Bashebabutt

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:12 PM

Okay I am in the middle of reinstalling xp. I am to the point of the partitions. It says I have C: partition 1 (NTFS 76285 MB (60588 MB free)
and then an unpartioned space at 8MB. When I go to the C: it says I am installing 2 copies of Xp and it will be unstable. What do I do??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 05:57 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Tell us what you are trying to do :flowers:.

A clean install (which eliminates everything currently on the C: partition/drive) or a repair install (which leaves programs installed, data files intact).

Which do you want to accomplish?

What are you using as the install mechanism (Microsoft XP CD, restore partition/disk, etc.)?

Why do you want to reinstall XP?

Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures - http://www.theeldergeek.com/xp_home_install_-_graphic.htm

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is installed - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=917964

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install (Stevens) - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Louis

#3 Bashebabutt

Bashebabutt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

I am trying to do clean install due to the computer having major infections (now clean). It is just not acting right. I have a windows xp disk.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:36 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:17 PM

Clean install:

a. Insert XP CD in CD/DVD drive.

b. Reboot the system and change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first option is the CD/DVD drive. This will prevent the system from trying to boot your current XP install. Save the changes (hit F10), the system will reboot.

c. The XP CD will either boot automatically...more likely you will see some writing at the bottom of the screen that says "Hit any key to boot to CD". Hit any key.

d. CD will boot. The screens indicated on the link I previously provided for "Clean Install" will appear. When you get to screen showing your current install...delete it.

If that 8MB says "unallocated space", don't bother to delete it...if it says anything different, delete it also.

e. After this is done, your screen should reflect a total of 76xxx of unallocated space. The screen will present you with a number of options. You want to install XP on that total unallocated space.

Just follow the prompts and directions...have your XP key handy...have your drivers CD handy (will need this after install is complete and system boots new install for first time. You will again see the writing at bottom of screen which says something to the effect of "Hit any key to boot from CD" but this time you ignore it and the system will boot from your hard drive's new install.

The link for a clean install covers all this.

Louis

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2008 - 06:19 PM

Just before you get to the screen where it tells you that you'll have 2 copies - there should be a screen where you can delete/format the current partition. You MUST do this if you're doing a clean install - if not, you'll be stuck with 2 Windows installations, and there's no guarantees that either will work.

This will wipe out the old installation and will give you a freshly formatted partition to install the clean copy of Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users