Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avira Free Personal Guard Scan Protection

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 27 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

I currently have both Avast and Avira free versions loaded but allow only one to be active at a time. I have keep Avast active for E-mail purposes since it has an E-mail scanning feature and then switch to Avira for everything else. I have not noticed a problem with this set up. I was aware that false positives were possible with this set up but after reading the posts here I have noted that a virus slip through was possible. I now believe I should uninstall one of the programs. Avast and Avira both seem to be excellent programs but between the two I have a preference for Avira. The free version of Avira does not have an E-mail scanning feature and do not want the paid version. I run XP Home with Outlook 2007 and my E-mail is downloaded locally. I believe Outlook converts the file to a database (.pst) file before I can open them. Avira’s Guard Scan mode configuration allows you to scan both read and write of all files which I have selected.
So if I were to receive an infected E-mail running the free version of Avira.
Would Avira be able to detect it?
Would it stop it in time?
Would my entire Outlook 2007 (.pst) file be at risk?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2008 - 11:25 AM

I thought others might be interested in the answers I found to my questions after posting to the Avira forum. I received a fast reply there in just over an hour by the Technical Support Manager of Avira (Wow!). I am much more comfortable now with using Avira exclusively as an antivirus including E-mail protection with my particular set up. I might note that I also just completed a complete scan of my system with all Avira settings to the max including scanning of all files on a 5 year old PC, P4 processor scanning about 60G of files on a 80G hard drive in 1 1/2 hours. I know this is not fast in absolute terms but on my system this was considerably faster than similiar scans by Symantec or Avast. The Heuristic setting set to max produced no false positives.

Here is what I posted on the Avira forum and there responses.

Post Subject: Avira Personal Scanner Settings Configuration

Let me start out by thanking the good people at Avira for providing such an excellent antivirus product with a great engine, large virus definition database, heuristic scanning capability and fast definition updates. I need help on the configuration settings for Scanner and Guard. One can select to scan all files, smart file extensions or use file extensions list. Since I am not an expert I believe that selecting smart file extensions may be the best choice as Avira has chosen the file extensions to scan and I am sure have done a good job of balancing scanner speed and level of protection. But I do not have a clue as to the risk involved in not scanning other file types. I am aware that Avira Premium provides an E-mail scanner capable of scanning E-mails before they are downloaded but my finances will not allow this choice currently. I use Outlook 2007 as my E-mail client and my mail is downloaded locally on my hard drive. I have selected the Scanner Guard setting of both read and write.

If I select smart file extensions and receive an infected E-mail will the infected E-mail be detected?

Avira forum response - Yes

If it is detected what level of infection is possible to my system?

Avira forum response - No

Will the Outlook 2007 (.pst) file become infected or corrupted?

Avira forum response - No

Can I increase E-Mail infection protection by selecting the scanning of all files or adding specific file extensions to the use file extension list?

Avira forum response - PST files are seen as archives, so you can set to scan for Outlook mailboxes in Archives section.

Thanks Again!

#3 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:59 AM

Well, .pst is just Outlook "Settings File",So .pst file can be Hi-Jacked only...

#4 Justa

Justa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:28 AM

~PrEmIuM~, Although some may may call the (.pst) a settings file it is the primary user data file that contains folders, messages and other user data. There are many other settings and configuration files which Outlook uses. I thought I should clarify this for others reading this thread.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q196492

#5 ~PrEmIuM~

~PrEmIuM~

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 30 October 2008 - 04:38 AM

well anywat, risks infects only partially it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users